Tripel, Rack to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCrazy84

Reaction score
While I know many do not always advocate racking to a secondary, I only have one primary carboy, and would like to rack over if deemed to be ready.

My SG was OG= 1.076, today when I measured it was 1.015. (Fermenting for 3 weeks) My recipe was as follows:

8.5 Lb DME-Pilsen (Added 5.5# at 60m, and 3# at 15m)
1 Lb Candy Sugar (added one week into fermentation)
4 oz Aromatic Malt
3 oz Biscuit Malt

(Steeped the two grains at 155 and sparged at 170.)

3 oz Stryian Goldings (2oz at 60m, 1oz at 30m)
1 oz Saaz (added at 15m)
Yeast:
3787 High Gravity Belgian (2.25L Starter made for one packet, and one packet pitched straight as to not under pitch.)

Est SG= 1.077, Actual 1.076. Est FG= 1.019 Current Gravity=1.014
Temp was high 60's for first two weeks and ramped to mid 70's for third week.

I ask because it is 5 points lower than I estimated, it tastes good (a bit banana-y with some hop aroma), and I would like to use the carboy for more brews. Would it just be best to move this to a secondary for a few weeks to allow everything to finish up. I mean, right now, I am at 82%ish attenuation (Didn't crunch the numbers, but that is a bit high for this strain)

If anyone wants more information, feel free to ask.

I could not have done this without the help and the use of this forum, as well as using the search feature so you sages out there do not get too fed up with the same question. I seriously want to almost cry I am so happy with the taste and job done thus far. :D

This is a situation where I would rack to secondary. Bulk aging a tripel for a while is a good idea. Also, if you're ready to brew another batch and need the bucket, all the more reason. After 3 weeks in primary you should be fine moving it now.

Thank you very much, I can't wait to try this one when it is ready. I have two secondary carboys, so I am not worried about itching to get this one into the bottles. I know my Belgians, and I know how I love to let them sit in my basement for a long period before I drink them.

This is a situation where I would rack to secondary. Bulk aging a tripel for a while is a good idea. Also, if you're ready to brew another batch and need the bucket, all the more reason. After 3 weeks in primary you should be fine moving it now.

I agree! I would go ahead and rack it now as well.

I agree, Trippels need some aging, and I feel they also need to come off the original yeast after a few weeks. Fermenting at high temperatures accelerates yeast decay. I usually rack Belgians at 3 weeks.

I'm surprised you only got down to 1.014. Belgian yeasts generally attenuate well, but I have not used that particular one. Brewing calculators do not do a good job of estimating FG; most often they just apply a general percentage and do not adjust for the particular yeast, or amount of and how fermentable the ingredients are.

Thank you all for the support and confirming my plan. I noted the calculator had a default of 75%, and wyeast says 74-78, but I am 4% above that. I figured that with my first brew I would not have this luck. I am so happy and I love this community, when I get my cash flow from my summer job I'll get a membership, haha.

Back