Tripel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclloyd

Reaction score
I have a tripel in primary that is at 1.023 after 17 days. It started at 1.077 and a ferm temp of 66F. I stepped it up to 68F after two days and to 70F after 4 days then back to 64F after two weeks because I had a new stout going in to my ferm chamber.
The grain bill was very basic - 12 lbs of Pilsner malt, 4 oz aromatic malt and 4 lbs cane sugar. 90 minute mash at 148F and 90 minute boil. Smack-pack of Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale - no starter. Ferm took off with no problem after less than 12 hours.
My question is this : in order to get it a little drier I was going to either pull it out of the ferm chamber and leave it at room temp (76-78F) for a few days to see if the temp increase will kick start the yeast, or pitch a packet of Notty or US-05 to help with the residual sugars. Would either of these be an advisable move? Info / suggestions appreciated.

Try upping the temperature and rousing the yeast first. They probably got sleepy when you dropped the temp on them in the middle of fermentation.

Pulled from ferm chamber last night and left at room temp (78F) - had airlock activity within two hours and it was bubbling at about 10 second intervals this morning.

Check your gravity in a day or two again. Airlock activity generally follows a rise in temperature as the CO2 will come out of solution and/or the pressure rises in the vessel. So your activity could mean either that fermentation has resumed at a faster pace, or that you're just venting existing CO2. If you still don't have a significant change in gravity, it may be time to reyeast.

Never underestimate the power of shaking/swirling the heck out of that fermenter after you raise the temperature just a bit. Getting the yeast back into suspension helps re-start a stuck fermentation quite a bit. Its worked for me a few times.

Thanks guys - I will swirl it up when I get home and check the gravity again Sunday.

You use a calculator to get your pitch rate? One smack-pack seems on the low side if you have a 5 gallon batch with that OG.

I don't calculate pitch rates - I understand the reasoning but have not made the effort to do so. I also don't make starters - I know that a lot if brewers swear by them but I haven't got on that tip yet. Not having had any issues other than from old or tainted yeast previous to this I haven't seen the need.

Checked the gravity this evening after 10 days at 78* and it's down to 1.005. Took a little sample and it tastes divine. Dropped back into temp control at 62*F and will cold crash at 34*F for a couple of days prior to bottling.

Back