Tripel hung at 1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreman1063

Reaction score
Just started this awesome hobby Three weeks ago and for my third batch I brewed a BB, Belgium Tripel extract kit. Brew day was 8 days ago and everything went smoothly during the boil/transfer to the primary bucket. OG was 1.086, dead on what the kit specified. I aerated well and the yeast took off 4 hours after pitching. Had really intense fermentation for about 36 hours then the bubbles slowed to a crawl. I checked the gravity on day 4 and it was at 1.030 and Fermenter temp was between 66 and 67 degrees. After reading a bunch of "stalled fermentation" threads I decided to put a heating pad under the bucket and warm things up. Got the temp up to 69-70 degrees and things started moving again for a couple more days. Bubbles stopped, racked to the secondary on day 7 and checked FG, was still 1.030 :(. Kit specifies a FG of 1.017 to 1.020.

It's now day 8 and I'm wondering what I should do, leave it, warm it again, add more yeast or what. Thanks for any advice.

Should have left it in primary until it was done. This style can take 3-4 weeks at least to ferment all the way down and the last few points take the longest. What yeast did you use?

That's what I was afraid of and I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure on the yeast, what ever comes in the BB kit.

Its all good, you gotta learn somehow! The beer will be fine, just a little sweet. Give it a week or so and see where the gravity is and taste it. If you like it, its good to go!

I got a Maibock lagering at 50 degrees right now that had an OG of 1.071. I used German Bock Lager yeast and its been 16 days and it still hasn't even cleared yet. It just takes time and it depends on the style. But the good thing is that the more you brew the more you'll be able to just look at the brew and tell whether or not its ready to package. Until then though it's good to follow the steps and practice good sanitary procedures while taking your hydrometer samples.

Add sugar. It will make it stronger and a bit thinner but may kick fermentation back up. Sugar is commonly used in brewing Trippels. 4-8 ounces should do it. Because of the high starting gravity, it may also be worth adding additional yeast. 1.030 is too sweet.

Add sugar. It will make it stronger and a bit thinner but may kick fermentation back up. Sugar is commonly used in brewing Trippels. 4-8 ounces should do it. Because of the high starting gravity, it may also be worth adding additional yeast. 1.030 is too sweet.

Originally boiled 9.6 lbs extract, 1 lb candi sugar and 8 oz of maltodextrin. So add a little more sugar and yeast to the secondary and stir it up? Any thing I need to be aware of if I do this, any side effects or potential issues?

Originally boiled 9.6 lbs extract, 1 lb candi sugar and 8 oz of maltodextrin. So add a little more sugar and yeast to the secondary and stir it up? Any thing I need to be aware of if I do this, any side effects or potential issues?

No, but since you already have a pound of candi sugar, I probably wouldn't put in more than 1/2 pound of sugar.

You're kinda tricking the yeast into eating the malt sugar. Straight sugar is 100% fermentable and easy for the yeast to digest. So, while they're eating the sugar they will also consume some of the residual malt sugar and drive the gravity down. Good luck.

Thanks Scoundrel. I took the readings with a sanitized hydrometer in the primary bucket but have not tasted it.

Back