Tripel finish too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
I just did a Belgian Tripel that I feel like finished a little low. I'd like some feedback to see if I may have botched this one...

4 gallon batch
Single Infusion Mash @ 150F
90 Minute Boil
Wyeast Trappist High Gravity

9# Belgian Pilsner
1# Munich
1# Belgian Candi Sugar (Clear)

1oz Hallertau @ 60min
1oz Saaz @ 25min
Irish moss

Here's where it gets weird...I had planned on doing a full gallon starter with this one but for whatever reason only did 1/2. So, I figured that my cell count may have been a little low to start with. I decided to not add the sugar to the boil and wait until 2-3 days after primary fermentation had slowed a bit. SG was 1.075, and with the sugar addition I estimated that my realistic SG would have been 1.085, give or take. It's been 2 weeks now since the sugar addition and my hydro reading 1.002. Is this too low? Will it have any flavor other than the esters (which are actually quite nice) from the yeast?

It doesn't taste too dry to me. It just doesn't have that typical "belgian" flavor. I'm missing the maltiness I think. There is a very clean very subtle bitterness which is nice and a slight banana/bubble gum too. It's not overpowering by any means. I kept my ferm temp set at 68 to start then ramped that up to around 73 towards the end.

I like the idea of a mini-mash and had never really considered that before, but it makes sense. I think I'm gonna just let it ride the way it is. I'm aging this thing until the first week of August and my hydro sample tasted okay. Maybe when it's carbed I'll get more flavor out of it...do you all think I mashed too low?

I don't mind my Tripels finishing that low, I have one on tap now that finished at 1.004. I think if you are going for more body, then you have to look at your process. You have a mostly pilsener grain body mashed at 150, a pound of sugar in the boil, a big starter and then a warm ferment. Seem like a recipe for a light, well attenuated, high alcohol beer. Maybe add more Munich to your next batch, mash a little higher or keep the ferment at 68 until the very end and then ramp up. As long as it's tastes good, you are doing it right :)

Back