Tripel fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zlandaal

Reaction score
I brewed a tripel on the 18th of last month (~18 days ago), with wyeast 1214, with an OG of 1.10. I measured the gravity last night, 1.014. :drunk:

The yeast flocculated a while ago, probably 5-7 days, and the wort is fairly clear. I'm using a fastferment, and there is significantly less trub/yeast on the bottom than I'm used to (only about half of the ball is filled up, and with big beers I usually have to change it 2+ times). Also, there are still some bubbles coming from this yeast cake, and I catch the airlock bubbles slowly when my home warms up a bit.

I'm going to wait a few days and check the gravity again. Is there a chance that there is a fair amount of yeast still in suspension? Maybe I should cold crash it before kegging. I just don't want to keg it to age before everything has dropped out of suspension, for the most part, and its done fermenting.

You could go with 3 weeks fermentation then bottle/keg/secondary however you choose and age that for the next 12 months. If the gravity is already where you want it to be I'd say it's up to you to determine what to do next. Heck, I'd brew another batch and pitch it on that yeast because it looks like it's a rockstar.

The CO2 activity will keep particles in suspension. That was a rather high gravity Tripel. I would be hesitant to reuse the yeast without doing a small test batch.

Oh yeah, I stressed that yeast WAY too much to want to re-use it. Maybe I'll wait another week before racking it to the keg. I plan on ageing it until mid February and tasting it then. If it still needs some time I'll have to invest in another keg lol.

Back