Tripel cloudy and flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westeinder Brouwerij

Reaction score
hi all,
Well I’ve tried to brew a 18 litre batch of Tripel and maybe i’m judging to soon, but i’m not too impressed with my results.

I did a 9 day primary ferment
2 1/2 week secondary ferment
Primed with DME amount as per calc.
Keeping it at 22c to carbonize
Now I’ve waited a few days and took a sample bottle chilled it down and just opened it.

It was flat, cloudy and not very tasty. It tasted beter at the first fermentation. Do you think its just poor beer or i’m wanting something to quickly?

hi all,
Well I’ve tried to brew a 18 litre batch of Tripel and maybe i’m judging to soon, but i’m not too impressed with my results.

I did a 9 day primary ferment
2 1/2 week secondary ferment
Primed with DME amount as per calc.
Keeping it at 22c to carbonize
Now I’ve waited a few days and took a sample bottle chilled it down and just opened it.

It was flat, cloudy and not very tasty. It tasted beter at the first fermentation. Do you think its just poor beer or i’m wanting something to quickly?

I think you are rushing to taste the beer. It's a tripel, a high alcohol beer. The yeast are probably stressed from swimming in that much alcohol. On top of that, you make them eat DME instead of corn sugar. Corn sugar is a simpler sugar, easier for the yeast to digest. I would expect this beer to need 3 to 5 weeks to carbonate, clear, and mature a bit. It might keep getting better for some time after that.

I think you are rushing to taste the beer. It's a tripel, a high alcohol beer. The yeast are probably stressed from swimming in that much alcohol. On top of that, you make them eat DME instead of corn sugar. Corn sugar is a simpler sugar, easier for the yeast to digest. I would expect this beer to need 3 to 5 weeks to carbonate, clear, and mature a bit. It might keep getting better for some time after that.

X2 ....
It may even take 5 months for the beer to reach it's full potential . I hope this wasn't supposed to be for the new years party . :)

Thanks
Its so hard when starting out, to learn everything you need to make beer and then you still need to wait before you can taste if its going okay.
I’ll hold on

How do all these youtube brewers say they have tasty carbonised beer within a couple of weeks of brewing? What are they doing different or do they have special youtube powers

I dont wish to rush making beer, i just want to have tasty end results and learn a few tips in how to get there. Im only in my third whole grain brew with my braumiester

How do all these youtube brewers say they have tasty carbonised beer within a couple of weeks of brewing? What are they doing different or do they have special youtube powers

I dont wish to rush making beer, i just want to have tasty end results and learn a few tips in how to get there. Im only in my third whole grain brew with my braumiester

There are a few things you can try if you want beer quickly. First is to make a lighter color, low alcohol beer. Pitch plenty of yeast to reduce the lag time. Use your hydrometer to determine the least time in the fermenter and use a fining agent along with crash cooling to get the yeast to drop out quickly. Keg the beer instead of bottling which will make quick carbonation possible. Lie about how quickly you can make tasty beer.

It took 4 weeks in the bottle for my first batch to become balanced. After two weeks it was flat and unbalanced and I was a bit sceptic. Now it it is very nice and tasty, although the recipe was not exactly what I was looking for. Next batch will be even better and I won't open a bottle before 3-4 wks in the bottles. Of course there may be something wrong with your beer but it is a bit toi early to say and we would need more info.

Back