Tried to save a cooked mash - or did I waste more grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshopper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a porter a few days ago. I used a recipe here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/black-betty-american-stout-190295/

I mashed in at 153 and set the thermostat on my BIAB kettle to 153....or at least I thought so. Actually, it is a PID thermostat and I set it to 'learn' the characteristics of my brew pot at 153, which meant cycling between hot and cool. In short, it got to 185 before I noticed. I added more cold water (1 gal) to get back to 153 and added 4 pounds of base malt to replace the amylases that got denatured at 185. (the original recipe had 14.5 pounds of 2 row plus some crystal, chocolate, and roasted barley)

I tried to check starch conversion, but I had trouble getting a read with such a dark stout. It appeared that there were starches before the 4 pounds of malt and after 20 minutes. I let it go another hour at 150 and it appeared to be converted. So I finished the recipe.

I pitched the yeast yesterday and it is just starting to bubble today.

Did I mess things up really bad? Is four pounds of grain enough to convert the batch? Other than denaturing the amylases, did anything else bad happen at 185?

Thanks

Glenn

From the sign of bubbling after pitching, I'd say you got some conversion. What was your hydrometer reading before you pitched? If anything, you may have gotten a decent OG and can make a pseudo barley wine. Let it ferment, and taste it. Go from there with judgment.

SG was 1.074 with a 6.5 gallon batch, giving an efficiency of about 65%, which I usually get.

I used Safale 05 dry yeast because it was the most attenuative of the ones I had.

If you are patient, I'll post FG in a few weeks.

That's a lesson learned the hard way: Auto-tune your PID at some time other than mashing.

Hopefully, you salvaged it and it will turn out fine.:mug:

Back