Tried something new, bite in the a$$?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
So I brewed a nut brown and Biermunchers IPA about 3 weeks ago and was getting ready to keg the nut brown. I cold crashed last night and decided now to check the FG. The OG was lower than normal at 1.040 and and I was shocked that the FG was still way up at 1.030! I'm not a newbie and have done it the way I have for 30 or so batches EXCEPT for some reason I thought I'd try putting the 6gal carboys in a water bath with a towel on top in the garage as the temp has been a bit higher and thought it may keep the temp down to 68F or so and it did that well. The nut brown didn't have as high attenuation as I usually see while the IPA was a bit better. Both had SAFALE 04 and were well within BBD. The IPA OG was 1.072 and today is at 1.04 with still a week to go with dry hop but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to recover them?
I'll add that I went away last year in Dec and this happened to 2 other batches I had in the basement. I threw in some more yeast and went out of town again but neither of these batches turned out and I had to dump them :(

It has to be asked, you dont use a refractometer do you?

Are you checking your FG with a hydrometer or refractometer? It's really hard to stall a 1.040 beer at 1.030 unless the temp dropped low enough to cause the yeast to go dormant.

Figured it out and you both were right. Didn't know I couldn't use the refractometer to check FG as the alcohol content screws it up. Still only dropped to 1.02 or there abouts. It didn't taste too sweet so I kegged it and we'll see how it goes. I think possibly the yeast I used was not as healthy as it should have been as 04 usually takes right off.

Back