Tried a batch sparge today for first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
So I've been fly sparging forever but after talking with guys at my LHBS I decided to try a batch sparge.

7 lbs 2 row.
12 oz flaked oatmeal
8 oz carapils
12 oz 80 degree

Did a 1/2 hour protein rest at 130 ish degrees. I know it's too hot bt I was worried about havins sufficient room in my 5 gal mash tun to get in adequeat water to raise the temp to mash temps.

Added 170 degree water to raise the temp up to 154 and went away for a while and drank beer. Mashed for 80 minutes. I based my timeing on the fact that we're having a freakin' monsoon today and at that point the rain had let up a bit.

Did a second mash with 160 degree water for 30 minutres.
ended up with 6 1/4 gallons

It's cooking now. Boiled for 15 minutes then added 1 oz kent goldings and 1 oz tettnang.
With 30 minutes to go I'll add 1 oz Hallertour and then dry hop with Amarillo.

Ok, time for more Hot Bastard Octoberfest. (Get the bright idea to brew an Octovberfest in Mid August, you are going with lager least at ale temps, thus Hot Bastard)

PTN

Why the 130 temp at the beginning? Most modified malt these days does not require a rest. No need to wait 30 minutes after the 2nd addition either,just stir it real good and drain.

I added the protein rest at the beginning for the oatmeal's sake, hoping to avoid chill haze.

And since this was my first batch sparge I was a bit anxious about getting all the good stuff.

I'm a bit worried today, no activity at all from the yeast. I'll give it till tonight before I do anything.

Blender said:
Why the 130 temp at the beginning? Most modified malt these days does not require a rest. No need to wait 30 minutes after the 2nd addition either,just stir it real good and drain.

Don't ask me why, but almost without exception, I get much better efficiency with stepped mashing. Case in point: a week ago, I brewed two batches side by side. One was a Basil IPA, which I step-mashed in my kettle using direct-fired heat. The rests were 133f for 30 minutes, 151f for 45 minutes, 158f until iodine test was negative for starches.

The other batch, a Fuller's London Porter clone, was a single infusion mash. 60 minutes in the cooler at 152f. Raise to 158f for 20 minutes to complete conversion (iodine tests on dark beer are difficult).

The stepped mash yielded 84% efficiency. The single infusion yielded 54% efficiency.

Now, maybe it's just the extra 15 minutes, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's the stepped mashing. I don't understand the complex science behind every chemical reaction that takes place, so I couldn't delve too deeply, but all I know is that my stepped mashes almost always yield higher efficiency.

probably don't need to mash that long either. as modified as most american 2-row is, it'll probably achieve conversion at 40 minutes.

Back