Tribute Tribute (St. Austell)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had starsan in your airlock it won't matter too much, but don't let the flies into your airlock.
Some people put tube to foil balloon to capture CO2 and then plug that on when cold crashing to prevent air ingress. Low volume doesn't suggest bad beer, was the gravity too high?

Will await taste test, had a few pints of tribute over the last month in Devon and Cornwall on holiday. Now back in NZ winter gales and cold.

Oh man!! Lucky you!!

Well oh my f#@$, my OG was 1.042! (I just checked to make sure I'm reading the hydrometer correctly) Holy hell it's spot on....
Okay maybe I'll give it a chance then, I was going to dump it. But it's definitely going to be extra hoppy with lower volume of beer 😆

Will do thanks! I forgot to check the gravity pre-boil (tho it was even on my checklist) so I don't think I'll be able to get the efficiency, but anyhow thanks for the tips I think I'm in for the long run in the new hobby:)

Wondering if you ever received feedback on this water profile idea. I’m looking to brew a Tribute, Tribute; but want to mimic Cornwall water as much as possible. Anyone have any ideas?
Lots of radon to be authentic....

Cornwall is mostly granite, St Austell is famous for china clay (kaolin) which is a weathering product of granite. And there's lots of rain. So the water there is really soft - the tapwater at the brewery is 21ppm chloride, 12 ppm sulphate, pH 7.93, 14ppm calcium, 10ppm sodium.

But being British they treat it liberally, this recipe for Tribute's precursor Daylight Robbery (a special for the 1999 solar eclipse) used the equivalent of 3.3g gypsum, 3.3g table salt and 3.3g MgSO4 in 20l, but apparently they now use a more conventional gypsum/calcium chloride combination.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...-became-tribute-from-the-horses-mouth.661711/

20220820_144143.jpg
here's my first try, carbed up nicely with priming sugar, tastes like a real-ale to me. Colour looks good to me! It's a bit strong mind! Had a pint and I'm tipsy. Waiting for my test tube to go flat to check the FG. I'm really impressed considering I thought it had gone horribly wrong

View attachment 778265here's my first try, carbed up nicely with priming sugar, tastes like a real-ale to me. Colour looks good to me! It's a bit strong mind! Had a pint and I'm tipsy. Waiting for my test tube to go flat to check the FG. I'm really impressed considering I thought it had gone horribly wrong
Looks a great pint and gorgeous setting.

Lots of radon to be authentic....

Cornwall is mostly granite, St Austell is famous for china clay (kaolin) which is a weathering product of granite. And there's lots of rain. So the water there is really soft - the tapwater at the brewery is 21ppm chloride, 12 ppm sulphate, pH 7.93, 14ppm calcium, 10ppm sodium.

But being British they treat it liberally, this recipe for Tribute's precursor Daylight Robbery (a special for the 1999 solar eclipse) used the equivalent of 3.3g gypsum, 3.3g table salt and 3.3g MgSO4 in 20l, but apparently they now use a more conventional gypsum/calcium chloride combination.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...-became-tribute-from-the-horses-mouth.661711/
They don't actually use the tap water at St Austell, they have a special source that comes from a spring, when I did the tour they were explaining that this pipe travels across a few different farms of whom the owners are unknown, and that they fear one day someone might cut them off.

They don't actually use the tap water at St Austell, they have a special source that comes from a spring
Spring water will essentially be rainwater so again will be really soft, so I'd suggest the tapwater is a reasonable first approximation in the absence of more detailed analysis.

Spring water will essentially be rainwater so again will be really soft, so I'd suggest the tapwater is a reasonable first approximation in the absence of more detailed analysis.
Defo a good starting point.

Just like to add this is a great thread, and appreciate all the notes and advice from the contributors, some good solid information in here. I've had my own attempt at this a few times, but now made some changes to that recipe and hope to brew it soon.

I've been away from the forum here for a long time at this point, during the intervening time I've gone pro and opened my own brewery in Valdese, North Carolina, and of course we make our own Tribute Tribute lovingly, and often serve it on cask with a beer engine in the pub. I was extremely happy to see that this thread still have some life in it, and so to close the loop fully, here's the recipe we use:

Brew length: 3.5bbl, brewhouse efficiency 85%

Malt:
110lbs Maris Otter, prefer Crisp or Thomas Fawcett
27.5lbs Munich Malt. If you can get it, Epiphany Craft Malt out of Durham, NC makes the best hands down, and is what we use

Mash with 48 gallons of water, mash temp target is 153F. Add 250g gypsum and 25g table salt to the mash. Acidify to ph 5.3 if needed with your water (we have mountain water, so it has no mineral content).
Sparge with 100 gallons of 180F+ liquor.

FWH addition of hops to ~20IBU. We use a high alpha hop to minimize vegetal matter in the kettle and to increase yield. Shoot for perhaps 15IBU calculated if you're using a high cohumulone hop like Simcoe, shoot for 20IBU even if you're using a low CH hop. We boil for 60 minutes, with the low OG there's no need to boil for 90.

10 minute addition: 1/2lb each Willamette and Styrian Goldings, whirlfloc

Flameout addition: 1/2lb each Willamette and Styrian Goldings.

Whirlpool under power for 10 minutes, then allow to stand for 10 minutes for trub to settle. Knock out at 63F, target OG 1.042, ferment with an English Ale Yeast (pick your favourite, we use the dried Whitbread strain). Hold at 65 for two days, then allow it to free rise to finish to an FG of 1.010

You can crunch this back down to a 5 gallons batch easily enough. Key factors are keeping the Maris Otter:Munich ratio at 4:1, use a good high quality munich malt, don't skip the table salt addition in the mash. Watch the bittering addition, whilst you will get some additional bitterness from the late and whirlpool hops, the bulk of it comes from the FWH, so measure accurately, and also don't forget to adjust for the nature of the hop you're using.

To adjust the hop character for your particular system, push the 10 minute addition around. We've tried moving it to both 15m and to 5m, 5m came out too lemongrass heavy, 15 lost too much of the delicate hop character. For us, 10 minutes gets the perfect balance of lemongrass and blackberry, and the whirlpool additions bring out the aromas in the finished pint.

For yeast stick with an English strain, whatever is your favourite. We use the Whitbread stuff because its easily available and we use it in a few of our beers, but you can also make a decent pass with the Fullers yeast. We have also used 1318 with good results. Don't forget that most English yeast strains will drop 2-5IBU from the final beer, this is accounted for in the recipe above, but if you ferment with something like US-05 or equivalent, then you may need to adjust the bitterness down a touch to suit.

Happy brewing!

There is really no point in subbing Fuggles, you don't get any character beyond bitterness from the first addition. I've brewed several thousand gallons of this beer at this point, we used to use Fuggles for the first addition, but moved away from it for practical reasons.

Styrian Goldings is another name for Celeia, so that's not a sub at all. St A's use the Willamette in the boil and then the Celeia in their hop back (confirmed by brewers on a brewery tour some moons back), but this split addition between late boil and whirlpool gets the same character without needing dedicated equipment.

Styrian Goldings is another name for Celeia, so that's not a sub at all.
Actually it's not - well sort of.

Per Martyn Cornell :
In 1886 a local entrepreneur and activist, Janez Hausenbichler, from Savinja in what was then Austro-Hungarian Slovenia, acquired some Fuggle hop sets, at a time when the variety was still known in England as “Fuggle’s Golding.” As a result local hop farmers believed they were growing a Goldings variety, and the Fuggles grown in Slovenia became acclimatized under the name “Savinjski Golding.” The hop turned out to fit the local climate and soil perfectly and even in 1964 the Savinjski Golding was the only type of hop being grown in the Savinja Valley. When Slovenian hops started being imported into Britain, certainly by the late 1930s, the variety became known as the Styrian Golding, most likely because Britons could not pronounce “Savinjski,” and Styria was better known anyway.

But then what happened is that all sorts of other varieties got lumped together under the Styrian name. Back in 1970s Yugoslavia Northern Brewer was pollinated by an unknown Slovenian male to produce "Super Styrian", since renamed Aurora. A similar cross produced Bobek.

Aurora was pollinated by another unknown male to produce the male 105/58, which was crossed with autotetraploid Savinjski to make a triploid, which was called Celeia, which they like as it has some of the downy mildew resistance and higher alpha from Northern Brewer whilst tasting more Savinjski-like.

So historically a packet of "Styrian Goldings" could be a mix of Savinjski, Celeia, Bobek and all sorts. But then the use of that name was banned within the EU so although brewers still use the name, you will only see Styrian Goldings sold as such in the less sophisticated markets like the US. But in Europe at least, it's considered an historical synonym for Savinjski, not her granddaughter Celeia.

We pretty much only deal with commercial hop importers these days, our supplier labels them as a single varietal as Styrian Goldings / Celeia, and also distinctly sell Styrian Bobek and Styrian Savinjski as separate and distinct products, so at least here they are synonymous.

We pretty much only deal with commercial hop importers these days, our supplier labels them as a single varietal as Styrian Goldings / Celeia, and also distinctly sell Styrian Bobek and Styrian Savinjski as separate and distinct products, so at least here they are synonymous.
OK - ribbing aside, that's a bit weird, here you would get Savinjski described as (Styrian Goldings) but not Celeia. Almost feels like they've got a glut of Celeia that they're trying to shift under slightly false pretences - or genuinely don't know any better.

I've been away from the forum here for a long time at this point, during the intervening time I've gone pro and opened my own brewery in Valdese, North Carolina, and of course we make our own Tribute Tribute lovingly, and often serve it on cask with a beer engine in the pub. I was extremely happy to see that this thread still have some life in it, and so to close the loop fully, here's the recipe we use:

Brew length: 3.5bbl, brewhouse efficiency 85%

Malt:
110lbs Maris Otter, prefer Crisp or Thomas Fawcett
27.5lbs Munich Malt. If you can get it, Epiphany Craft Malt out of Durham, NC makes the best hands down, and is what we use

Mash with 48 gallons of water, mash temp target is 153F. Add 250g gypsum and 25g table salt to the mash. Acidify to ph 5.3 if needed with your water (we have mountain water, so it has no mineral content).
Sparge with 100 gallons of 180F+ liquor.

FWH addition of hops to ~20IBU. We use a high alpha hop to minimize vegetal matter in the kettle and to increase yield. Shoot for perhaps 15IBU calculated if you're using a high cohumulone hop like Simcoe, shoot for 20IBU even if you're using a low CH hop. We boil for 60 minutes, with the low OG there's no need to boil for 90.

10 minute addition: 1/2lb each Willamette and Styrian Goldings, whirlfloc

Flameout addition: 1/2lb each Willamette and Styrian Goldings.

Whirlpool under power for 10 minutes, then allow to stand for 10 minutes for trub to settle. Knock out at 63F, target OG 1.042, ferment with an English Ale Yeast (pick your favourite, we use the dried Whitbread strain). Hold at 65 for two days, then allow it to free rise to finish to an FG of 1.010

You can crunch this back down to a 5 gallons batch easily enough. Key factors are keeping the Maris Otter:Munich ratio at 4:1, use a good high quality munich malt, don't skip the table salt addition in the mash. Watch the bittering addition, whilst you will get some additional bitterness from the late and whirlpool hops, the bulk of it comes from the FWH, so measure accurately, and also don't forget to adjust for the nature of the hop you're using.

To adjust the hop character for your particular system, push the 10 minute addition around. We've tried moving it to both 15m and to 5m, 5m came out too lemongrass heavy, 15 lost too much of the delicate hop character. For us, 10 minutes gets the perfect balance of lemongrass and blackberry, and the whirlpool additions bring out the aromas in the finished pint.

For yeast stick with an English strain, whatever is your favourite. We use the Whitbread stuff because its easily available and we use it in a few of our beers, but you can also make a decent pass with the Fullers yeast. We have also used 1318 with good results. Don't forget that most English yeast strains will drop 2-5IBU from the final beer, this is accounted for in the recipe above, but if you ferment with something like US-05 or equivalent, then you may need to adjust the bitterness down a touch to suit.

Happy brewing!
Hi Pete. Do you use pallet or whole hops?

Oh man, I'm so stoked I found this! I have family in Cornwall and haven't been back for a few years. This is a great session beer!

I'll be Brewing it this year!

Proper Job is an English IPA brewed by St. Austell brewery 5.5% ABV
My recipe for Tribute (sorry but metric uom)
22 litres
Water profile ppm
Ca 156, Mg 16, SO4 170, Na 31, Cl 100, Alk 32
4000g Maris otter (or pale malt)
400g Vienna malt
100g Wheat malt
28g Challenger @60m
25g Willamette @15m
25g Styrian Golding & 35g Willamette @ whirlpool 90C for 20m
Nottingham yeast

Recipe for Proper Job
Same as above for water
22 litres
5100g 2 row pale malt
150g Torrefied wheat
20g Chinook & 15g Willamette @60m
20g Cascade @15m
25g Willamette & 20g Cascade @ whirlpool 90C for 20m
Nottingham yeast or US05

My recipe for Tribute

400g Vienna malt

Roger Ryman recommended Munich as a substitute for Cornish Gold :
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/cornish-gold.4414/#post-48164
although one of the Malt Miller guys is a big fan of Snozzell so they've started selling the "original" (it's the right link, although they haven't fixed the short description) :
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/simpsons-cornish-gold/
Per Roger Protz they used 20% :
https://protzonbeer.co.uk/features/2005/02/01/st-austell-brewery-all-steamed-up
confirmed by the actual recipe for Daylight Robbery, the one-off that turned into Tribute :
Nottingham yeast or US05
Apparently Snozzell use the Shepherd Neame yeast - the Sheps boss Jonathan Neame was a non-executive director of Snozzell for a long time - which in turn is apparently a Whitbread yeast, so Brewlab Kent would work, or S-04, but it's easy enough to culture from a bottle of Proper Job.

Back