Traveling the east coast of the US. Which breweries should I stop by?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpac

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip from Philly to Outer Banx in NC next week. I'm starting to look at my route now, and was curious if any of you out there had any brewery suggestions for me to hit up on the way down.

I'll definitely be hitting Dogfish head in DE and possibly Clipper City (Heavy Seas) in MD if it's not too far out of the way.

Anything else?

Monks cafe in Philly is the best gastropub in town. They have more different types of beer than you could ever drink in a week! And if you like seafood, do your self a favor and get an order of mussels, out of this world. The craft beer scene here is really hopping and can think of a dozen great places to go, but if I had to choose, monks stands above the rest!

264 South 16th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102
Subway: Walnut Locust Station
Open Daily 11:30am-2am

I think you'll pass red oak on 81 at some point...not been there...but hear its good...

Olde Meck Brewery is my local favorite...they have a nice bavarian setup and a sweet microbrewery (think it's a 15bbl system) but it's probably a lil bit outta your way

Is this a 1 day trip from Philly to NC and you're making pit stops or are you planning the trip over a couple days?

Monks cafe in Philly is the best gastropub in town. They have more different types of beer than you could ever drink in a week! And if you like seafood, do your self a favor and get an order of mussels, out of this world. The craft beer scene here is really hopping and can think of a dozen great places to go, but if I had to choose, monks stands above the rest!

264 South 16th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102
Subway: Walnut Locust Station
Open Daily 11:30am-2am

Monks is not a brewery but it is the best beer bar in the country if you like good beer. Thye usually have a bout 10 different beers on tap that change regularly. and the beer bible lists about another 200 that they carry in bottles. Mostly Belgian beers but a ton of other good craft brews.

I was ther a couple of weeks ago and they had Pliney the Elder on tap. Yum. A couple of those and a nice Saison, and order of Mussels and I was one happy camper.

Victory is another pretty good place to visit.

DFH is a must if you are in the area.

Enjoy your trip..

I think you'll pass red oak on 81 at some point...not been there...but hear its good...

Red Oak is on 85 near Greensboro. Probably not on the route between Philly and OBX.

If you make it anywhere near Farmville, NC, Duck Rabbit is a phenomenal brewery. There are also some good ones in Raleigh. If you go down through DE and cross the by to the Norfolk area, you're pretty well out of luck. Only breweries in that area are brewpubs like Gordon Biersch.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

My apologies, I should have been more clear. I should have mentioned that I live in Philly, so I've been to monk's about 10,000 times haha. I can definitely agree that it is phenomenal! I've also been to at least most of the local breweries, there's just so many!

Is this a 1 day trip from Philly to NC and you're making pit stops or are you planning the trip over a couple days?

I was just looking for pit stops on the way. I'll be staying in NC for a week, so I'll have some time to explore while I'm down there.

bpac said:
Thanks all for the suggestions!

My apologies, I should have been more clear. I should have mentioned that I live in Philly, so I've been to monk's about 10,000 times haha. I can definitely agree that it is phenomenal! I've also been to at least most of the local breweries, there's just so many!

I was just looking for pit stops on the way. I'll be staying in NC for a week, so I'll have some time to explore while I'm down there.

where in Philly do you live?

Depending on your route, if you're taking I64 from Richmond to Norfolk, there is Legend in Richmond, Williamsburg Alewerks, St George Brewing in Hampton, and O'connor in Norfolk. Legend and St George are unremarkable, Alewerks has some good seasonals (saison right now is tasty), O'connor is pretty new and so far the only beer of their's I've really enjoyed is their black IPA.

If passing through Norfolk there is a great beer bar called the Birch. They always have unique beers on tap that I've never heard of before. You can see their current tap list here: http://thebirchbar.com/

If you take 81 there are two WONDERFUL breweries in afton virginia. Devils Backbone and Blue Mountain.

I think that I would LOVE Devils Backbone, but its biggest downfall is that its about five miles away from Blue Mountain....which is absolutely unreal. Great, locally grown food, beautiful mountainous setting, hops growing on site....I can't say enough about it.

(toughknuckles)

If you take 81 there are two WONDERFUL breweries in afton virginia. Devils Backbone and Blue Mountain.

I think that I would LOVE Devils Backbone, but its biggest downfall is that its about five miles away from Blue Mountain....which is absolutely unreal. Great, locally grown food, beautiful mountainous setting, hops growing on site....I can't say enough about it.

(toughknuckles)

Squared. Coming from WA state to VA, I thought I was moving to beer hell until I discovered these two breweries. Both are making great beer. And if you have a chance Columbus Day weekend, the second edition of The Festy is being held at Devil's Backbone. A bluegrass festival hosted by the Infamous Stringdusters at a brewery with trail and mountain bike races. Doesn't get much better than that :mug:

Blue Mountain brewery is pretty fantastic, though I wouldn't pass up Dogfish Head in DE to go that route. Devil's Backbone is also pretty good (I was put off by how sweet many of their beers were, but that's just me), but again, I'd be itching to see Dogfish much more than either of the two. Also, coming from Philly, on the far eastern end of Pennsylvania, Afton Virginia is a pretty severe detour.

there is a new brewery in Georgetown, De. 16 mile. Might be worth stopping on the way to Milton for DFH. Not sure if they do tours. Had a golden ale in a 22 oz al bottle, very good!

Think Flying Dog is in Federick

Update: Link to 16 miles - http://www.16milebrewery.com/ I would be interested in how they bottle with those al bottles. Might have to run over their this summer.

In Va: Port City in Alexandria, Legend in Richmond, Williamsburg Alewerks. There's a nano brewery in Va Beach, Beach Brewing, that's making some good beer. If you feel like going a bit out of your way in Northern Virginia, Corcoran Vineyards near Waterford just started making beer. All of their offerings are very good. They're working on a cool setup. They're growing hops that they plan on selling. Soon, they plan to switch to all locally sourced grain for their brews.

I'm planning a trip from Philly to Outer Banx in NC next week. I'm starting to look at my route now, and was curious if any of you out there had any brewery suggestions for me to hit up on the way down.

I'll definitely be hitting Dogfish head in DE and possibly Clipper City (Heavy Seas) in MD if it's not too far out of the way.

Anything else?

Flying Dog, Frederick MD. If their tour is operational (they were renovating), there is no way you should miss Flying Dog

Shenandoah Brewing Company in Alexandria VA. Beer's not bad, but not the best. I only suggest cause it's more than likely shutting its doors in a month or so and it could be your last chance.

Back