Trashcan Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheinikel

Reaction score
I am looking to build my trash can Kegerator out of a rolling trash can. For anyone who has done this, what line length did you go with? Also, when the kegs were iced down, what serving pressure did you run at? My Kegerator is dialed in perfect, but I have no clue how this trash can version is going to behave.

To help, I am thinking about putting flow control faucets to maybe help dial in flow should there be any foaming issues. Thanks KS in advance for any advice you can give.

Fundamentally you want the combination of temperature and CO2 pressure to conform to the carbonation level of the beer. Doesn't matter whether you're dispensing from a kegerator, keezer, or portable unit. Refer to our favorite carbonation table, find your beer temperature, run across that row to your desired carbonation level (expressed in volumes of CO2, where 2.4-2.5 is about the middle of the road for ales) then run up that column to find the proper CO2 pressure to achieve/maintain that carbonation level.

From that point you want to tune the dispensing system to handle the required CO2 pressure. Use 1 foot of 3/16" ID beer line per PSI and you should be in good shape. Or refer to the only beer line length calculator worth using. Comes complete with an education :) ...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back