Trappist ale from Massachusetts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt that an impossibility? i was under the impression that to be a true trappist beverage it had to be made inside one of be original trappist monasteries, otherwise its and abbey ale no? that also includes using a trappist recipe. i could b wrong tho

I heard this as well, I contacted my friend at the dabc to get a case ordered. Being from Utah that's about the only way to acquire anything out of the norm. From what I hear it's a golden ale and is lower in abv them most traditional Trappist ales, they said they wanted something there monks could drink and still be able to get work done... Very excited with most likely a two month wait time. NPR did a great job on this story and I happen to be listening at the time. Cheers

This is actually the first and only American Trappist brewery, it has less to with country and recipe from what I understand and more to do with the it being a self supporting self maintained entity, brewed by monks or under there supervision , and not for profit. This ale is not a typical Trappist ale in type of beer but just brewed under the Trappist rules... And this brewer is supported by the ITA (international Trappist association) one of ten brewery's in the world

One thing I find very interesting is that these monks have no prior experience with brewing of any sort. And they are joining a very rare group of brewers.

Interesting! I'd be very interested in trying it. Just not sure how to go about it. I'd love to visit their monastery and see what their daily life is like.

Hodwy folks, I'm from Belgium myself. The good monks from St Joseph got the assistance of the Belgian colleagues that brew Chimay. And what LostCreekBrewery says about the requirements to get the trappist label is correct.

For years this monastery has made jams and jellies - I believe this is in stride with the Trappist culture of producing agricultural goods to help support themselves and the charitable work they do. Other Trappist monasteries make beer, but I imagine any number of products are also made that we don't know about. This monastery is branching out to expand its economic base in changing times and, smartly, is doing so with a highly desired product with a long, well-known tradition (well-known to beer geeks anyway). This endeavor does not seem to have been taken on lightly and has been years in the making. I expect their beer will be top notch.

I grew up not too far from the monastery and always wanted to visit to heck it out, but never made it there. I still live close by, so I think a visit is definitely in order now.

This is actually the first and only American Trappist brewery, it has less to with country and recipe from what I understand and more to do with the it being a self supporting self maintained entity, brewed by monks or under there supervision , and not for profit. This ale is not a typical Trappist ale in type of beer but just brewed under the Trappist rules... And this brewer is supported by the ITA (international Trappist association) one of ten brewery's in the world

Right o'. For all intents and purposes the new Abbey could brew an IPA or something completely different from the Belgian styles.

Fwiw, I picked up a 4-pack the other day at a local beer shop. Pretty pricey - $16.

I'm not a Belgian beer connosieur, but I like this beer. My first thought that it was similar to Chimay Cinq Cents (white) but with more phenolic yeast character - clove/pepper. Definitely a well made beer. Perhaps someone more familiar with these sorts of beers will chime in with more/better thoughts about it.

Been following their story since it hit the news and really interested how wide spread they might become. If it is true one of the monks home brewed in college and was making beer for Christmas gifts.

Back