Transferring and souring a commercial beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrogantDusty

Reaction score
So at a recent event for my company, I brought some homebrew and a few commercial kegs. Long story short, I had about a half of a 1/2 barrel keg of Perennial Artisan Ales' Southside Blonde left at the end of the night.

It has now been in the back of my SUV for about 3 weeks with temperatures ranging from 30-85 during that time period (Spring in St Louis is crazy). I was entertaining the thought of transferring 5g of into one of my kegs before returning the keg and then adding blend of lacto and brett and leaving it out for 6 months or so. Anyone done anything like this before?

And for those of you who think I should just chill it and drink it, I already have WAY too much beer to drink at my house right now and do not need more

Do it!

Use a closed transfer so air doesn't get mixed in.
I guess you'll be putting a spunding valve on that keg?

BTW, I wonder what that trunk beer tastes like right now.

Yes, spunding valve will be there. And I do plan on cooling it to room temp downstairs which is like 65 and tasting it for off flavors at least. I have been driving easy, lol. As easy as possible at least. I have just been arguing with myself on whether to bring it back no or transfer some away first before I make the effort to carry it in. Thus, I am crowd sourcing the decision here. lol

Sounds like this would work if you can also build starters for the Lacto + Brett and pitch them into the new keg w/o oxygen.

My concern would be the dissolved CO2 and the added pressure that will come with it into the new keg. Pitching the cultures directly into that pressurized environment could cause the yeast/bacteria cells to burst from the change in osmotic pressure. I know fermenting under pressure is a good thing but it’s the pitching of the cultures I’d be worried about.

Perhaps transfer out of the old keg into your desired fermentor, wait some time for it to de-gas and then pitch. Not sure if this helps, but good luck! Sounds like a great idea!

Back