Transfered to secondary to early... still have primary contents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarpenter1127

Reaction score
First brew noob mistake I know but here it goes.
Brewers Choice IPA kit, all went perfect (og @ 1.065) primary for 7 days. no airlock activity (I know its not a hydrometer) but based on the instructions, I started to transfer to a secondary. While transfering, I pulled a test and found the gravity to be only 1.045. At this point, I have transfered 90% into the secondary. My question is, should I put everything back in the primary(which still has all the other contents in it) and leave it alone or just put the rest into the secondary and let it finish there?
I have read for hours on a ton of threads and realize my newbie error but cannot seem to find an answer to this specific question.

Thanks for the AWESOME site and I hope to be able to contribute at some point in time (once I secure the knowledge needed of course)

Just finish the transfer, as there still should be lots of yeast in suspension.

For some reason, the beer didn't finish so if it doesn't start up again you might have to repitch fresh yeast.

double check your hydrometer, that it reads 1.000 in plain water. It could be something as simple as a slight crack in the hydrometer that is causing the reading to be wrong.

Agree with Yooper (of course). I would leave in the secondary container, but make sure you have some kind of airlock on it. Give it a few days and check the gravity. If it's not dropping, add more yeast. With that low of a gravity drop, you may not have enough alcohol to prevent baterial growth, so I wouldn't let it sit too long without finishing the fermentation.
Just curious, how active was the first fermentation, was there a lot of krausen? What temp was the room/fermentor?

Okay, I finished the transfer and already had an air lock on it. The fermentation seemed to start slow (took almost 48 hours to start) but was rather active i believe (much bubbling) there was a 1/2" layer on the top of the liquid when I pulled the top off. I had the fermentor in my basement and the room/fermentor temp was between 66 and 69 degrees F.

I ferment at the same temp and I get nervous if fermentation takes more than 12 hrs to start. People say a "big" beer (high specific gravity) can take longer to get going but yours is not considered big. First brew, I assume you used dry and not liquid yeast? Did you aerate the wort well before or after pitching?

Back