transfer to bottling bucket= lots of crap in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddick

Reaction score
I just sampled a beer i brewed about a month ago, accoring to more than a few people i bottled it early. I just wanted to know how bad i screwed up. turns out, not that badly. But when i went to sample the beer, i noticed quite a lot of sediment and that whole yeast cake crap in the bottom of the bottle. how exaclty do you avoid getting that in your bottling bucket, do you transfer to a secondary and let that settle; hopefully that will help? the upside is: it tastes pretty close to what i was hoping for so im not discouraged/pissed.

Many here will say to ferment for a month and then bottle.

I ferment for 2 weeks or however long I can, until I need my fermenter, and then rack to a secondary for 10 to 4 days.

I like to lift my fermenter and carboys up and leave them up high for a few days. That lets the sediment fall and not be disturbed. (no moving) I just transfer where it sits.

My very first beer I did none of this and it was very cloudy. My batches after that were all clear and have came out nice.

Careful racking at bottling after a sufficient primary then at least a few weeks of conditioning to let the small amount of yeast settle to the bottom.

B

You are going to have sediment and a small yeast cake in the bottom of the bottle from the yeast eating the priming sugar.

The best and easiest way is to primary for 4 WEEKS! This is super important. This wouldn't be highlighted so frequently, by so many people if it was not true. Patience, though difficult, will pay vast dividends to your brewing experience.

Wouldn't the correct answer be - You'll have yeast cake in your beer bottles unless you filter the yeast? Unless I'm missing something or I didn't understand the OP, I thought that was the obvious answer.

Midwest supplies has a 1, .65 and .5 micron filters to completely remove yeast from your beer.

The yeast that settles in the bottom of the bottle will stay put if it has been conditioned long enough to compact, and the beer is poured gently enough.

NRS

when I bottle I get a very, very light dusting of yeast on the bottom, not a cake. Thats one of the benefits of the long primary.

yeah, i figured it was that i didnt leave it in the primary long enough, but it might also be that the yeast ate the priming sugar. like i said, first time i brewed so i was wondering for future thouughts!

cheers!

You will always have a bit of yeast in the bottom of the bottles with bottle conditioned beer. There are commercial breweries where you'll notice it too! I know Rogue, especially their Shakesphere Stout, has a dusting of yeast on the bottom. (You can keep that yeast, and save it, but that's for another post!)

There are a couple of things to do to minimize the amount of yeast in the bottles. One is a long enough primary. I am NOT a fan of the "month long primary" that seems to be preached around here lately, but certainly that won't hurt the beer. I think 2-3 weeks is plenty of time.

A couple of keys, though- first, use a flocculant yeast like S04. That will compact down to a very tight yeast cake, especially if you can chill the fermenter before transferring to the bottling bucket.

Two, careful siphoning will really help. I start siphoning in the middle of the fermenter and lower it as the level of the beer drops. I avoid the trub at the bottom.

If you can crash cool (stick the fermenter in the fridge, for example) for a day or two before bottling that will help suspended solids drop out of suspension.

It sort of goes without saying, but don't bottle a beer until it's clear. Because when it does clear, you'd have the stuff drop out in the fermenter, rather than the bottle!

Lastly, when you serve the beer, chill it a couple of days in the fridge and don't move it around. When you pour it, open it and pour it in one pour and leave the last 1/4" of beer in the bottle. That way the sediment stays in the bottle and doesn't get poured into your glass. I think Revvy has a "how to pour a homebrew" guide that is really helpful for friends who aren't accustomed to homebrew.

I do as jwink does, but typically leave in the primary for only 5 to 7 days before racking to secondary.

You could also rack to secondary at the height of the krausen or foam formation (3 or 4 days) and leave behind proteins and other residue that clouds the beer ( I've done this a few times, too). It also smooths the taste some. That's kind of what happens if you use a blow off tube on the primary as a lot of the krausen is forced out of the fermenter. It will complete fermentation in the secondary just fine.

Back