Train Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsacquitne

Reaction score
I always brew up a batch of beer for the adults at my sons birthday party. The beers tend to have something to do with the theme that my wife comes up for the party. This year we are doing a train themed party since that what he is into right now. I am having trouble coming up with a style of beer that would go good with that particular theme. Any suggestions? Also any train themed names as well since we usually make a special label for the beer.

Thanks

All my beers are trained theme. I like to play with my model trains so I have it that my beers can fit in. Here are some of my name I have used. Box Car Blonde, Coal Porter, Grain Train Wheat, Rail Yard Hef, Switcher Citra Ale, Steam Train Coffee Stout,and I bottle a couple weeks ago Tehachapi Pale Ale- named for the Tehachapi Loop.

All my beers are trained theme. I like to play with my model trains so I have it that my beers can fit in. Here are some of my name I have used. Box Car Blonde, Coal Porter, Grain Train Wheat, Rail Yard Hef, Switcher Citra Ale, Steam Train Coffee Stout,and I bottle a couple weeks ago Tehachapi Pale Ale- named for the Tehachapi Loop.

No "Locomotive Lager" or lambic?

+1 to steam beer.

On a different track, Hepworth Brewery in East Sussex, UK is based in a old railway goods yard, and has a general British railway theme going through their logos, etc. Unfortunately their website is broken right now, but you might want to take a look at their graphics, beers etc. Particularly if Thomas and Friends might be involved somewhere else in the party.

steelrailNEW.jpg

I immediately thought of this guy...but I really like the steam beer idea!

What about a rauchbier (aka smoked beer)? Not exactly an easy drinker, but you could call it something like "Coal Smoke Ale" or something smoke themed. Make a porter with some smoke malt thrown in for smoky flavor, bam done!

A train beer is any beer consumed on a train.

Source: used to commute by train. Gawd bless your liberal open-container rules, CalTrain, totally worth it even when the rowdy Sharks fans would invade with their suitcases of MGD cans.

...the only serious thematic thing that comes to mind is how, back when even fresh agricultural products were shipped by rail, hops bines would sometimes fall off and "plant themselves" where they fell along the right of way – so, if you find hops growing wild somewhere they've got no particular business growing at all, you can guess the road/trail you're on may have been train tracks decades in the past. Kinda whimsical, but maybe a bit abstract to condense into a beer name/label...

I really like the idea of a steam beer. Most of the guest that will be consuming them aren't into trying beers that don't look like Coors Light when they come out of the bottle. Who knows maybe I will get some hooked and I can pull out some heavier stuff as the party goes on.

Back