Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I've ever seen it for sale before Thanksgiving. In fact, I seem to remember it coming out around X-Mas.

I did not know such a thing existed. Glad I do now. I know where my 100 dollar gift card is going (well it was always going to be beer, now I know I should save some for holiday time). Cheers.

I did not know such a thing existed. Glad I do now. I know where my 100 dollar gift card is going (well it was always going to be beer, now I know I should save some for holiday time). Cheers.

It's delicious. A seasonal Belgian-style brew made by Unibroue for TJ's. At ~$4.99 for a 750 mL bottle, it can't be beat.

Oh wow. Is it always a Belgian style? Usually high grav/ageable (is that a word?)?

Since 2008 (when I noticed it) it has been. Now I buy a case each year to store and age. It is bottled on the lees, so its character will change over time.

The Trader Joe's around here actually do not sell them, as ridiculous as that sounds. I have wanted to try it for a long time.

Are you in a remote part of L.A.? I can attest to the fact that they had *tons* of bottles available last year in Hollywood, West L.A., Pasadena, Santa Monica, etc... (Attestable by the fact that we bought them. Cases of them, in fact!)

Whee!! I've still got a bottle of 2010 in my closet, waiting to be enjoyed this year.

I think that if I like this year's variety I'll pick up a case.

I picked up some in Lincoln Park last weekend. Clerk told me they limited the amount stores could order this year. They are only allowed to order 5 cases at a time. There were issues in the past with some stores stockpiling there supply for the winter.

I picked up a couple bottles of the 2011 vintage during a spur-of-the-moment stop into Trader Joe's yesterday. They had a huge display of them set on the floor still in cases and more on the shelves.

I am going to bring one to Thanksgiving to sample and may pick up some more to cellar if it's tasty!

This year's seems to have more of a spice profile than previous years. It should age nicely.

We have lots of them at our store as well last time I checked. I was given a bottle of 2011 for a gift. We popped the 2010 for New Year's this year...it was quite excellent! Much better than the $4.99 would have you believe....but of course, Unibroue makes some outstanding beer so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Drinking one right now.. :)
Was searching for who brews it and came across this thread. I remember last years' being better for some reason. I bought what looked like the last bottle from the TJ's I go to, but maybe they just needed to restock the shelves. I may go back to get a couple to see how they age.

Ok, that's embarrassing.. just looked at the bottle again and it clearly says that it's brewed by Unibroue. :)

I have a question. I have some of the 2011 I'd like to store for future years. What is the best way to store these. Do they need to be laid on their side like wine? Certain Temperature?

I keep some of mine in a wine fridge to take advantage of the temperature being constant. It's on its side because of that, but from what I understand it's better to keep it upright so that the yeast settles to the bottom and the beer isn't in contact with the cork.

Here's a reference:
How To Store Beer - BeerAdvocate

2009 was the first year I tried, it was way better than 2010 or 2011 in my opinion, Unibroue makes some great beer though, Terrible, La Fin Du Monde, and Trois Pistoles are great.

Recently had a vertical with 2008-2011. The 2008 was by far the face, though it was more a golden ale whereas the rest are all dark. However, the 2009 and 2011 were liked more than the 2010.

Back