Tower of Power Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mprossman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I got the Tower of Power because I thought it was idiot proof, but clearly I was wrong. I have sent and email to Blichmann, but their site said it could take 5 - 7 days for a response (and I want to brew tomorrow).

Here is my problem. I have a Brutus single tier stand with three 32 tip wok burners with ½ inch natural gas lines running to them. It’s only 10 feet from my gas main, so I think my flow rate is pretty good (I have not had it tested). See picture below.

When I turn on the Controller, I get a spark and the burner kicks on. However, even though the gas is on full power, I barely get a flame out of the burner. On the burners I don’t have hooked up to the solenoid, I get way more flame than what I need and have to dial it back (it’s about a 1 1/2 foot flame if they are on high). It appears that the solenoid is not working properly or it isn’t appropriate for my setup. I know little to nothing about how the solenoid works. Do I have this installed incorrectly? Do I need the shutoff valve before the solenoid? Do you think I need a different solenoid? If so, does anyone have recommendations on what may be compatible with the Tower of Power?

As always, thanks for your help gang!

Marty

burner.jpg

Take the solenoid off, and brew on!

Is the solenoid cycling when it should, ( does it click?)

Does it have a "flow" arrow on it, and is it pointed the right way?

Take it off, and learn a "manual" brew, and deal with Blinkmann later!

I have an old setup that I could use, but I was hoping to use the new system. I have it all set up except for this. It's just frustrating at this point.

The arrow is pointed I the right direction and it does seem to cycle correctly. I can hear it clicking and the gas comes on, but the flow is no good.

Do you have pipe thread where it shouldn't be? I recall some connections for the solenoid they recommend no teflon tape.

I don't think so. I believe that is only if you are using pipe with a small orifice. If I remember right, it's only because you run the risk of plugging the orifice. With as large as the natural gas pipes are, I don't think it's possible for this to be a problem.

Can you try the solenoid on a different burner just to test? Could be the solenoid is bad. If the same thing happens on a different set of plumbing, that may be the case.

Not to sure about that particular burner but you need an orifice of some sort with that solenoid in order for it to work, that's what controls how much gas goes into the burner for a perfect blend for burning fuel..

It's works just fine on mine..I use a blichmann burner, with the TOP..

Hi All...I took a long break to move and now I'm coming back to this. I've determined that my solenoid does not have a large enough orifice for my burner. Has anyone replaced the Asco solenoid to one with a larger orifice for natural gas? Preferably one i wouldn't need to rewire. If so and you could provide me with a model #, I will be eternally grateful.

Does said solenoid have a removable orifice,(it should)?
If so, do some research on how much to "open it up", for natural gas.

Remove it first, of course, and me thinks you'll need some "number drills" to do the enlargement.

Edit: Look here: https://thegrillfather.zendesk.com/...opane-to-Natural-Gas-Conversion-Drilling-Tips

Here: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl15-Zk5pmc[/ame]

Here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/anyone-ever-tweak-their-gas-grill-to-increase-gas-flow.406082/

Here: https://www.google.com.ec/?gfe_rd=c...q=enlarging+a+propane+orifice+for+natural+gas

Read on, Brother!

I'm sure there are instructions in the forum as well!

Latest posts

Back