Toured Stone Brewery Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
SWMBO and I are visiting our oldest daughter and her husband here in San Diego, and toured Stone Brewery this afternoon. The facility is quite impressive from the bistro and the gardens to the brewery itself. Good fun, and good beer.

I've toured BMC breweries a couple of times in my younger years, and I thought those places really stink to high heaven. But not Stone; the aromas were very much like my own home brewing -- cooking wort and aromatic hops.

Ken, the tour guide is very entertaining and knowledgeable. He really encouraged folks to give homebrewing a try. He called it "God's Work." He also gave up Stone's IPA recipe that we could just scale down if we wanted to. "First, start with 5K gallons of water..." LOL!

20130819_121752.jpg

I believe he said that the fermenters were 12K gallon, and there were a bunch of them. This was just one row of probably 6 or 8 rows -- and they plan to put more in where the bottling operation used to be (which is now next door).

20130819_123045.jpg

I couldn't get a good picture of it, but the blow-off tube was venting so much CO2, that you could see a mirage of gas over the top of the 55 gal. drum in which it was immersed. It was like the sanitizer in the drum was boiling. He said that they complete fermentation in about 4 days because they can create ideal fermenting conditions that homebrewers cannot.

Ken also talked about aging big beers in barrels, which he thought was probably the best recent emphasis in craft brewing.

20130819_123740.jpg

At the end, we were able to taste four beers: Levitation Ale, IPA, Arrogant Bastard, and Stone 17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA made exclusively with German hops. All were incredibly different both on the nose and palate. I enjoyed Levitation and the Anniversary brew the most.

My wife is not a fan of huge hop profiles, so she did not enjoy the tasting as much as I did. To round out her day (and mine), we enjoyed a snack in the bistro which included a bottle of Imperial Russian Stout.

20130819_133922.jpg

What a great finish to a nice event!

Sounds like you had a great time. I've never been to San Diego, but Stone is at the top of my to-see list if I ever go.

We visited Stone during our last trip to S.D. last winter. The brewery tour was great and lots of fun. Our guide used that same "start with 5,000 gallons of water" gag for the homebrewers in the crowd.

If you go to San Diego, be sure to visit Ballast Point, and White Labs' tasting room. They are on the way, just off I-15. White Labs gives you the opportunity to do a side-by-side taste of 2 or 3 beers of a certain style, each made using different yeasts. Really highlights what the yeast adds to the flavor.

I was blessed to get a private tour of Stone, as well as dinner with a brewing assistant. They are awesome. I got to munch on the grains, and stick my nose in a huge box of hops. The restaurant is fantastic, with lots of local, organic stuff. They're opening a hotel there!

Can't wait to return 1,000% recommendation to anyone on going there for a beertastic adventure.

Some day I hope to visit....meanwhile, I am reduced to Luckily finding a bottle of Gotterdammerung today on a business trip....alas, reduced to drinking it in a fine paper cup...oh well, still delicious.
Vegas, Grand Canyon, Stone.....three wonders trip

White Labs' tasting room. They are on the way said:
For sure. We tried Kolsch where the batch was split 4 ways and fermented with 4 different yeasts. Unbelievable differences! You read about these things, but to actually experience them was great.

I was blessed to get a private tour of Stone, as well as dinner with a brewing assistant. They are awesome. I got to munch on the grains, and stick my nose in a huge box of hops. The restaurant is fantastic, with lots of local, organic stuff. They're opening a hotel there!

Can't wait to return 1,000% recommendation to anyone on going there for a beertastic adventure.

That private tour sounds really cool. Yes, the restaurant was great. And everyone there was really nice and helpful.

I wonder if the hotel will have any signage. The entire brewery is void of any labels or signs. My GPS lady just said: "Your destination is on the right." That was our only clue. We just started opening doors until we found the gift shop/tasting room. When I asked our guide about that, he said he thought the CEO simply got a kick out of watching people drive around trying to figure it out.

That 17th anniversary really is a treat. My buddy is one of the specialty brewers there and those hops they used are brand new experimental cross-strains of traditional European with the usual west coast C-hops we're used to in IPA's.

Yes, the anniversary IPA is very good. I had that last night on draft at a local brewpub. I've also had the pleasure of touring Stone Brewing in Escondido last January and I must say, it was quite impressive. I was sorry to hear about the death of one of their forklift drivers yesterday. Very sad. :(

Back