Tough Mudder Molasses Imperial Stout -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradinator

Reaction score
Hey,

I am going to participate in Tough Mudder next summer and was thinking, "Holy damn this is going to be tough. Sure going to need a damn fine, damn strong, damn damned beer after it".

Here is what I have come up with so far.

Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.083 (can go as high as 1.090)
Estimated FG: 1.018 (8.5% ABV)
Estimated Color: 47.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 90 IBU

10 lbs 2-Row
1 lbs Roasted Barely
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs Special B Malt
0.5 lbs Molasses
0.25 lbs Cocoa Powder

1.5 oz Chinook @ 60
0.5 oz Chinook @ 45

Pacman Yeast

Mash - 153-155F, Single Infusion (going to medium-full body)

This is the base recipe so far, so critique away.

I am also considering adding some form of pepper to the beer, such as jalapeno or even habanero. Thoughts?

I am open to suggestions on this recipe for any other ingredients that may make this beer an epic reward after Tough Mudder.

I brewed this on the weekend and here is what I came up with:

ttough-mudder-stout1.jpg

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Actual OG: 1.065
Estimated FG: 1.014 (6.7% ABV)
Estimated Color: 42.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61 IBU

8 lbs Pale Ale Malt
1.5 lbs Pilsner Malt (ran out of Pale Ale, and it was all I had left)
1 lbs Roasted Barely
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs Special B Malt
0.75 lbs Molasses @ 30 minutes
3 g crushed Grains of Paradise @ 30 minutes

1.5 oz Chinook @ 60
0.5 oz Chinook @ 45

Pacman Yeast
Mashed @ 152F

I messed up my volumes and ended up with a bit more beer at less gravity, but I am not to worried as it should still be pretty strong if the Pacman attenuates this below 1.014. It's fermenting like a maniac right now so I don't think it will be a problem.

I have 1 diced habanero stewing in 2 ounces of cheap vodka right now that I plan to add to my primary in about 14 days from now.

DSCF5490-1024x980.jpg

DSCF5492-768x1024.jpg

I will let it sit for about 7 days then rack the beer to the secondary where it can sit until early 2013. I really have no idea how this will turn out or if one entire habanero is going to make this beer too hot, but its going to get a lot of aging time. We won't be cracking one of these until after the race.

Though I may sample a few a little earlier just in case it tastes like Satan's butt.

I like it! Not sure I'd want to drink that after doing the mudder, but you may have an iron stomach! I believe I had a "few" Ranger IPA's after the TM. I did it here in Colorado in June and had a blast. It's rough but get some good buddies to do it with you and you'll be fine. Start preparing now. Hike, run and workout your arms/shoulders - oh and get ready to get in freezing cold water and getting zapped with 10,000 volts (more then once). Good luck!

Thanks! I started training back in July for this event and got a good group of guys and gals planning to sign up with me, so hopefully we will be ready. I have heard that the northern races are pretty wicked cold and Calgary's is up in the Kananaskis mountains so I imagine it's all glacier fed water... It's going to be tough and some of those obstacles look challenging, but I got a year to prepare.

Did you deseed the habanero? You can save yourself a lot of heat and heartburn by deseeding.

Nah, I know its where all the heat comes from but from what I read from several other threads on Hab peppered beers, 1 pepper should be okay for a 5 gallon batch. I guess only time will tell and this beer is at least 8 months before sampling... But I will try to remember to update when I do!

Back