Tough actin Tinactin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleyhole

Reaction score
So, this is a first after 15 batches of beer.

I made Thunderstruck pumpkin ale. Mini mash with some pale malt, specialty grains, and a lot of extract, plus 60 oz of pumpkin. Pitched with some S-04. Fermentation went fast at 68 degrees. Racked after 1 week to secondary.

Now, it has been in secondary for 4 days. I checked on it tonight and it has weird floaty things in it. It was completely clear when I racked it...and I was sure to not get much trub/sediment into secondary. The floaties almost look like little fungi, some are attached to the glass above beer. However, they almost look like coagulated proteins...though they haven't settled yet.

I'm worried that the beer is contaminated, though it smells fine through the airlock. I say this because I checked the gravity when I racked it and it was 1.012 (down from 1.052), so I think fermentation was done. Also, after I put it in secondary, I added a "pumpkin spice tea" which was essentially a cup of heated water with pumpkin spice in it. I used either Britta or spring water, can't remember which, but I'm worried I didn't heat it enough (certainly not to a boil).

I do notice quite a bit of yeast sediment at the bottom of the carboy however, so maybe fermentation was not done or adding the warm spice tea got it going again...but what are the floaties?! Krausen? Need to call John Madden? I suppose I'll see what happens, go to bottle and it see if it tastes bad. Anyone had this happen before? I'd be sad if this were my first mishap :(

S04 usually will flocculate out fully and finishes quickly if you are in the proper temperature range.

I would not worry about weird floating things. As co2 comes out of suspension it can bring blobs of yeast with it.

Was it done fermenting when you racked to secondary? If you racked without taking a gravity reading, the beer might still be fermenting a little bit and taking it time to finish since you left most of the yeast behind in the primary.

By any chance was there sugar in the pumpkin spice tea? If it was a spice pack from the store there may have been brown sugar in it which might cause things to get going again.

Back