Touched the Wort!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corpsman619

Reaction score
G'morning,

I was taking a reading this fine morning (I dipped the hydrometer tube in the wort) and I touched it with my fingertip. It is at about 5.6% right now so I am hoping that the alcohol in it will kill off any sort of nasty’s that may have been on my fingertip. Just before i did this I had rinsed my hands in 12.5 ppm Iodophor but only for about a min, wasn't planning on giving it the finger ;)

On a separate note, it also tasted very yeasty and made me burp a lot!

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks!

-Chris

The beer should be fine. What you didn't say was how long it has been sitting. Is this the first reading you've taken and how long has it been since you put it in the fermenter? If you haven't cold crashed it, there probably is a lot of yeast still in suspension, so if you are at the correct Final Gravity, cold crash it then bottle or keg it.

G'morning,

I was taking a reading this fine morning (I dipped the hydrometer tube in the wort) and I touched it with my fingertip. It is at about 5.6% right now so I am hoping that the alcohol in it will kill off any sort of nasty’s that may have been on my fingertip. Just before i did this I had rinsed my hands in 12.5 ppm Iodophor but only for about a min, wasn't planning on giving it the finger ;)

On a separate note, it also tasted very yeasty and made me burp a lot!

What are your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks!

-Chris

At least you cleaned off before taking your morning dip.

I can't address your burping issue. That one is on you. Well hopefully not ON you, but you catch my drift.

The % is too high to get affected by a finger! Except if you have an apocalyptic disease on your finger tip

The % is too high to get affected by a finger! Except if you have an apocalyptic disease on your finger tip

The radioactivity from the finger will never leave the beer, or the person drinking it. In 15 years you won't even remember drinking the beer, or understand how it could have caused the cancer even if you could.

But yeah the beer will be fine. Within "acceptable limits".

I put it in the fermenter last Sunday, I'm gonna dry hop tomorrow for a week then bottle. The OG was 1054 and my first FG reading was 1010. I don't have a fridge to cold crash =/ still it cold crash on the bottles?

you should be fine man! As long as you werent eating fruit prior to splashing the wort!

Meat and vegetables yes... but fruit... No, no, no.

I say if you don't get an infection after your finger touched the wort... stick your whole face in the wort and take a big drink... you know... a taste test.

How long has your beer been fermenting? Are you getting close to your FG? If there is still a strong presence of yeast flavor, then the yeast is still in suspension and has not yet dropped. If you are at your FG, you can cold crash to settle the yeast out, if you have an option to do this.

Yeah I have already gotten lower than the FG I was sitting for and just today I let the wort warm up to about 74 f and now more bubbles are coming! Staying to wonder if it's possible to get to much attenuation!? Starting gravity was 1054 I checked today and it was at 1010 and apparently sill going,I was shooting for 1012

Hhaha, ya your beer will probably be fine. I have to resist the urge to jump in my batches as it is. So a little touch won't be a big deal. I think sanitation is important but I also think some people get a little freaked out by it too. Beer seems to do fine most of the time.
Any time I have to second guess my sanitation I think back to years ago and that our ancestors must have brewed beer and ale and mead with conditions much less sanitary than what we can do now with the tools we have.
Let us know how it turns out bud

Is a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. It's been actively fermenting since last Sunday. The bubbles had stopped, up until I let the temp go up a free degrees(not by choice, it was a really hot day) and the bubbles started up again, very slowly though

attachment.php

Don't listen to these fools!!!

That beer has become a freakin' bio-hazard!!!

You need to send it to me immediately so it can be disposed of properly.

pb --- Certified beer disposal technician. ;)

Latest posts

Back