Total Yeast Cells in a 5 gallon Brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaoBrewer

Reaction score
If I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of IPA that has an OG of 1065, and I pitch 200 billion yeast cells to get it started ... after fermentation is complete and it ferments down to 1012, approximately how many yeast cells are now in my 5 gallon fermentation bucket? Anyone ever figured that out?

That calculator seems to tell you how many cells you need in order to pitch a 5 gallon batch. What I'm after is how many yeast cells are created in the fermentation process with a 5 gallon batch?

There's a hell of a lot of factors that go into that. It'll likely vary batch to batch. Batch gravity, aeration, fermenter time, temps, initial pitching rate, real intial viability, yeast nutrition, hopping rates, all these things could impact how many cells are left over.

There's a hell of a lot of factors that go into that. It'll likely vary batch to batch. Batch gravity, aeration, fermenter time, temps, initial pitching rate, real intial viability, yeast nutrition, hopping rates, all these things could impact how many cells are left over.

I'm sure there are ... I'm just trying to get a sense of the amount of cell growth, roughly that occurs.

Do 200 billion cells grow to a trillion? 10 trillion? I haven't even a clue.

anywhere from .5 to 3 times as a rough estimate. As said above, there are a ton of variables. Initial pitch rate, dissolved oxygen and ph are just a starting point.

Put in your starting cell count and a 5 gallon starter into a calculator. That will ballpark it

You cant go by that since the calculators are expecting at least a shaken starter which will constantly add more oxygen. With a fermenting beer, once the oxygen is depleted, the multiplication stops.

Put in your starting cell count and a 5 gallon starter into a calculator. That will ballpark it

Brew United calculator seems to suggest ~2.3 trillion cells using this method, assuming a real 200 bil cell initial pitch and a 19l "starter" of 1.065 wort with no agitation/stir plate.

I don't think it'll be quite that high, though.

Brew United calculator seems to suggest ~2.3 trillion cells using this method, assuming a real 200 bil cell initial pitch and a 19l "starter" of 1.065 wort with no agitation/stir plate.

I don't think it'll be quite that high, though.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. So in this scenario it grows by 10x.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. So in this scenario it grows by 10x.

Chris White and Zamil Zainasheff's "Yeast" book suggests an absolute maximum growth factor of I think 6 under brewery conditions (more can be obtained under laboratory conditions). So 200 billion cells would never grow to more than 1.2 (edit) trillion cells.

Chris White and Zamil Zainasheff's "Yeast" book suggests an absolute maximum growth factor of I think 6 under brewery conditions (more can be obtained under laboratory conditions). So 200 billion cells would never grow to more than 1.2 billion cells.

Was that an ideal growth factor to prevent off flavors? because yeast are certainly capable of budding more than 6x

Was that an ideal growth factor to prevent off flavors? because yeast are certainly capable of budding more than 6x

This was given the given the less-than-lab accuracy conditions of a brewery. With precise monitored control of dissolved oxygen, pH, nutrients, etc, yes. But without that, the yeast won't multiply more than that, according to them.

This was given the given the less-than-lab accuracy conditions of a brewery. With precise monitored control of dissolved oxygen, pH, nutrients, etc, yes. But without that, the yeast won't multiply more than that, according to them.

gotcha that makes sense, and I believe whatever those guys say about yeast.

I started counting for you but they all started to look like nipples, I spent way too much time trying to pair them up ......so I gave in.....sorry

index.jpg

Latest posts

Back