Total Novice/White Gunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catshark

Reaction score
Hello.

I have about 23 litres of Coopers English Bitter fermenting in a glass jug. It is my first attempt at a brew and has been fermenting for about 3 days. I have noticed some white/off white residue building up around the walls of the jug. Is this to be expected or has it been contaminated?

Any help much appreciated. Thankyou.

Sorry, wasn't too clear. It has the normal frothy gunk at the top;

IMG_0033_zps181e73c7.jpg

But then also some other sort of mouldy looking gunk nearer the bottem;

IMG_0037_zps7a7cd79e.jpg

I don't see "moldy" looking stuff anywhere, just normal flocculating yeast, hop gunk and break material. .....One thing to remember, mold can only grow where it comes in contact with air...it CAN'T grow in anaerobic (airless) environments. And the BOTTOM of the fementer is anaerobic.

Looks just fine, Fermenting yeast looks pretty disgusting, but trust us; all is well.
Just wait until you have some big (1.120) stout bubbling away in there is you want to see some ugly looking gunk! The white stuff at the bottom is just finished yeast starting to settle out. All is normal!
RDWHAHB!

Back