Toss the bucket? "pic"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I bought the bucket last winter,its only seen maybe 10 batches.I had a crappy brew day and left this in the basement for 6 months(forgot about it) I just opened it up to clean and use.I don't believe the bucket is the issue.I think its just from sitting and I opened it a few times months ago.If I reuse the bucket after an oxiclean and star san bath do you think itll still be good or is it permanently infected.

20151108_130939.jpg

Or use it as a general purpose bucket in the brewery. Hauling water to clean fermenters, contain Starsan to delabel bottles, or PBW for soaking a bunch of stuff clean in...lots of uses like those...:mug:

Probably cheaper and easier to get a new bucket. But if you really want to try and use it, probably need to:

1) Clean as best as you can.
2) Pour boiling water into it, making sure you hit the area around the ring as you pour it in.
3) Fill with bleach solution, cover and leave for a few days.
4) Rinse with hot water to get rid of any bleach film on the surface.
5) Pray to the beer gods that the next beer is OK - it should be, the bleach should sort out pretty much anything.

I think I'd clean it, put some permanent marker on the outside and re-purpose the bucket.

I agree with all above. Re-purpose that sucker, but don't brew any more beer in it. It just ain't worth the risk.

A new bucket and lid goes for less than 20 bucks. Not worth it, start over, no big whoop.

I think you can save this beer. Add some dry hops. It will be tasty. No need to over-react. RDWHAIBB. (Infected Bucket Beer)

I wouldnt even consider it a "risk". You will assuredly get an infection (and not the accidental good kind from the looks of that pic) if you try and ferment in that bucket again.

ANY bucket that I deem "questionable" at any time gets big black magic marker labels on the sides that states "NO FOOD". There is no reason to keep using it if there is any doubt in your mind.

ANY bucket that I deem "questionable" at any time gets big black magic marker labels on the sides that states "NO FOOD". There is no reason to keep using it if there is any doubt in your mind.
Grain bucket would considered pre boil,so what the problem?

Latest posts

Back