Topping up my cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I think I have a little too much headspace in my carboy... I'm about to do my first racking and I'm told I want to get the headspaceout and the cider pretty much to the neck but this is my first batch and I do not have any fermented cider to top up with.. I bet water is the last thing I should use... Will adding juice start fermentation again? Is this bad? I don't wanna us a crapload of marbles (and in a glass carboy? Sounds like trouble)... Any other way? Anything from the brew store?

I thought just occurred to me!!! Would it be better if I just add a store bought bottle or two of cider...??? Something light and Baland like a Strongbow or something? Or would juice still be better???

I thought just occurred to me!!! Would it be better if I just add a store bought bottle or two of cider...??? Something light and Baland like a Strongbow or something? Or would juice still be better???

I'd go with juice. Better to use what you already used than to throw in something completely different.

Depending on the amount of headspace a little water would probably not hurt. Say, removing a couple inches space in the neck of a carboy. I'd boil the water first.
As far as using store bought cider ... I can't see why that wouldn't be fine. And yes, adding juice may start fermentation again (the store bought cider may too if it is anything but dry).

Another possibility ... especially if you intend to make cider or wine again, is to start on your collection of smaller jugs now. Very useful stuff.

If your carboy is 5 gallons, that is 640 ounces (128 x 5) ... assuming you will leave some amount in the bottom of the carboy to avoid picking up sediment, lets say you get 630 ounces out of it.

Those "gallon" jugs that store bought wine comes in are actually not gallons, they are 4 liter jugs, which means they are 135 ounces. (not 128 which is a US gallon) ... so, you could potentially use 4 of those 4 liter jugs for 540 total ounces and would have about 90 ounces left over out of your carboy.

A two liter wine bottle would be about 67 ounces ... subtracted from the 90 ounces .. you'd have about 23 ounces left over.

SO ... if you searched around and got 4 of those 4 liter jugs, plus one two liter wine bottle (common at bars and restaurants) AND got airlocks for all of them (note that is 4 of one size and 1 of another) ... you could rack ... and then have about 23 or so ounces left over to enjoy as the "gratuity" ... your reward ... er, um - quality control.

I heard some poeple using olive oil since the two don't mix.
:confused:

Think I'd rather use juice. Around here a 1/2 gallon of AJ is less expensive than a 1/2 gallon of olive oil.

I'd also think that despite the two not mixing (for the most part), you would most likely get flavors off the oil. I’d be very surprised the oil didn't impart any of its flavor into the cider.

You’d be better off adding some sanitized marbles or apple juice.

If you have or have access to a Co2 tank. Just blow some Co2 into the carboy. It will displace the room air and sink to the top of the cider forming a blanket of Co2. No worries of oxidation or Acetobacter taking over.

I think I have a little too much headspace in my carboy... I'm about to do my first racking and I'm told I want to get the headspaceout and the cider pretty much to the neck but this is my first batch and I do not have any fermented cider to top up with.. I bet water is the last thing I should use... Will adding juice start fermentation again? Is this bad? I don't wanna us a crapload of marbles (and in a glass carboy? Sounds like trouble)... Any other way? Anything from the brew store?

I had this problem the other day and decided to add a little Everclear :)

Cheers

HW

I had to do this a week ago with a batch,i just added enough of the store bought cider to bring the level in the secondary up enough to keep any infection from starting,it did start fermenting again but not enough that it caused any problem. I bottled it a week after adding the new juice and then pastuerized it once it got carbed to where i wanted it.

Latest posts

Back