Topping off at the end of boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
**if this all apears too long to read, just skip to my question in the last paragraph!** ;)

So I finally got a nice big turkey-fryer, package says 30 qt. 7-1/2 gallons, right?

After reading Gordon Strong's book, I knew I wanted to make a measure stick. Adding gallons and half gallons and making notches on my stick so I knew my volume. I get to the top and it's only 6-1/2 gallons! Bummer.

Ok, now I want to measure my boil off so I get the water to a nice rolling boil and I start the timer. One hour later I measure, just under 5-1/2 gallons. :(
So that's a full gallon of boil off in one hour, never mind if I want to do a 90 min boil.

So, I'm looking to have at least 5-1/2, if not 6 gallons of wort at the end of boil right? If I want a full 5 gallons after all the trub? And I'm going to need the starting amount to be lower than the very tippy-top of the pot because of boil-over.

SO, Here's my question:
If I end up with 4-1/2 gallons (or around that amount) can I add some water to the fermenter to bring it up to my desired amount? As long as my OG ends up being my desired reading, it should be ok, right? Also, any opinions on my other observances above will be helpful as well.

Thanks! :mug:

I found a magic thing that happens. when you calculate your gravity of your current volume and you then use the dillution tool in beersmith to calculate the gravity after toppiing it off with the amount of water you are missing, you almost always come back to what the original gravity should be. I've topped off when necessary and the beer indeed has turned out fine.

No issues with topping off with water, it can even help cool the wort. As long as you got good gravity from the mash, when you boiled it just became more concentrated.

I would, however, avoid adding water if it will mess up the intended OG just to get tp the target volume (5 gals or whatever). I'd rather have 4.5 gallons of goods beer that 5 of some watered down light beer.

For a 4.5 to 5g dilution, you're looking at a 0.9 reduction in gravity … so from eg. 1.060 to 1.054; you can dilute it if you want the full 5g, or not. Not a huge difference either way, in my view.

30 qts is 7.5 gallons … either the pot's the wrong size, or your measurements got sidetracked somewhere. Fermcap/simethicone can help control boil-over/foam when you're at kettle capacity … to a degree. Good luck.

The best way to determine the volume of your pot is to find the volume in cubic inches and divide by 231, which is the number of cubic inches in a gallon.

I find it's more precise than pouring in water from a container. Then take your total volume in gallons and divide the inside height of the pot by that amount and you will have how many inches of height is a gallon, so you'll know exactly where to make your gallon markings on your stick.

For example if your pot was 10 gallons and 12-1/2" tall on the inside, 12.5/10=1.25. Every 1.25" is a gallon.

If you have an accurate 1 gallon measure and you can fill it and pour it accurately, I would do it that way instead of calculating the height of a gallon in your "boil cylinder" and measuring and marking a stick based on that. I don't see how pouring in an accurately measured gallon at a time can fail to be precise. If your BK is not a perfect cylinder (e.g., a keggle), then pouring in a gallon at a time is the only reasonable method.

I've been doing partial boils since I began brewing. 6 batches, and all have hit OG dead on... I just got a turkey fryer with a 7.5 gal pot as well. I'm going to attempt a 6.25gal boil on monday. I don't have any Fermcap, so I'm hoping between lifting the pot off of the heat and adjusting temp control here and there I can control the boil. I've realized I need to order a bigger pot, so I'm going to get a 10gal. I'm planning on graduating to AG-BIAB now that I've done a few extract kits, so from what I've read 10gal is the way to go... Good luck! :mug:

Have water in a spray bottle on hand. Lifting boiling-over wort off the burner is a recipe for disaster.

Ah yes I forgot to mention the spray bottle... I'll be doing that too. I don't like the "lift up" method, but it's all I can do for now. Hopefully the spray bottle and coming to boil very slow will be enough. I just got a $100 walmart gift card for my bday today. I just looked online, and I can get a 44qt. stainless pot for $95 including shipping... It's ON!

Thanks for all the replies. Logically, I assumed that if my grain bill/final volume amount should have a desired OG, then adding some water at the end should not affect it too much. Thank you for assuring what I had assumed.

As for measuring my pot, I had someone else on the forum tell me they had the same results from a turkey fryer they bought.

My method was, I have a 4 cup (1 qt) measuring cup. I added water a qt at a time and made measurements, 1/2 gallon at a time. Don't know how I could get more accurate than that. The final result was 6-15 gallons. I even went back and did i again, just to make sure. In any case, it was a cheap set-up and I'll have a nice HLT in the future.

So I'm making 3 gal batches for now, but I think I can make full 5 gal batches in the future, just need some fermcap and maybe a little top off water. Thanks!!

If there is enough room in the boil kettle, I would top off into it. Not bring it back to a boil, but hold it at a high temp for about 10 minutes, then transfer out. I hate pouring unsterilized water into my carboy.

Well, I guess it's out of stock now, so here's a look at it...

Also,
1867505_11101205012016-t.jpg

Bass Pro Shops® 30-Quart Propane Turkey Fryer | Bass Pro Shops
$40!?! WTF is wrong with that thing that its only $40?

I would be concerned that using the spray bottle would cause dms to fall back into the pot. You might want to time the boil from the point you no longer need to use it. I routinely boil 12.5-13 gal in a 15 gal pot. I skim the protien off the top as the boil begins that helps a lot as well.

Back