top flocculating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
coa_coa_cream_ale.jpg

Generaly speaking how long does a top flocculating yeast stay on top & do you always have to cold crash to get it to settle?

Yeast will settle given enough time. Cold crashing speeds up the process. Where cold crashing helps the most is getting chill hazing proteins to settle. I also find it helps improve the taste a bit. Don't cold crash too soon though, you want the yeast to break apart some of the off flavors in the conditioning phase.

Its top fermenting. Flocculation is when the yeast fall out of suspension. I usually ferment in a primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle or keg. The first week is between 65-70. Then I warm to room temp. After 4 weeks, most of the yeast has fallen out of suspension without crash cooling.

I am trying to be more proactive with this batch since I lost the last one due to some type of contamination. It has been in the primary almost 3 weeks and still has yeast on top. It smells & taste OK. Have only opened & checked gravity yesterday, not quite at expected finished gravity. I did move the fermentor last week as my new swamp cooler set up was ready & I wanted to get it in there.

What strain are you using? Some of the Belgian strains in particular will keep rafting on the surface, stubbornly refusing to drop out.

I get thick yeast 'mats' with:
WY1469 West Yorkshire
WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt
WLP400

YMMV.

Latest posts

Back