Top 5 Guitar idols

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
As an addendum to the bass players thread, I thought I'd throw this out, with one condition. You can't name Hendrix, Van Halen, Satriani, Vai, or Malmsteen. For instance, a recent English guitar mag included Joni Mitchell in a top 100 list, because of her wild tunings, and unorthodox approach to the instrument, not to mention her ability with the thing.

Here's my top 5 in no particular order:

Ace Frehley, cuz he was cool.

Pete Townsend cuz his acoustic stuff was hammering hell.

Jimi Page cuz he's a hacker who just played the crap out of anything he touched.

Neil Young cuz he went to school with my mom, and cuz he rocks.

Adrian Smith and Dave Murray, (who count as one) with Iron Maiden. Check out the solos on "Power Slave" for instance. Just... wicked.

Ace - Because he started it all for me
Alex Lifeson - Mostly for shameless favoritism and he's good at wiritng odd meter pieces
Kirk Hammett - They guy wails, even if he does have a high voice (so does Ace for that matter)
Townshend - Rythm genius
Jimi Page - Consummate hack and incredibly original (well, except for that 'whole lotta love' debacle.) The first guitar god.
Actually I think Page should be on the no-brainer list too so pick another.

Toss-up between East bay Ray of the Dead Kennedys and Tony Iommi from that other old metal band.

Robby Krieger - I think he is one of those great under-rated melodic guitarists
Jerry Garcia
Eric Clapton - I had to mention "god"
Lowell George - another underrated pioneer
Keith Richard -

This is going to be kind of a surprise, but Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac, solo) can play, boys.

:rockin:

EDIT: I only have 1 because my other top 4 have already been named....

No surprise to me dude. You're absolutely right.

Sudster, this is a no Van Halen thread. You're out.

gaelone said:
Eric Johnson

Good call, he almost made my list but I don't really like that many of his tunes. Absolutely LOVE his playing though.

Good call with Morello 'monkey. He was another near miss on my list because I can't believe how much he can do with so few effects.

Did you ever hear Roy Buchanan ? He was a white bluseman. Played a Telecaster and worked the volume knob with his pinky while he played. I was sure it was a wah pedal until I saw it !

Only two i can think of right now are:-

Django Reinhardt - Bloody good to say he was missing a finger too!!!
Robert Johnson

We'll do a special "Favorite Guitarists Missing Body Parts" thread too...

Dude said:
This is going to be kind of a surprise, but Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac, solo) can play, boys.
Well not really ;), but another "real" Fleetwood Mac guy could...Peter Green.

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Kirt Hammet
Eric Clapton
Brad Paisley

To kind of parallel the subject what do you have? I have a Fender Acoustic/Electric and an American Made Strat. I'm getting a Tele, just not sure if I want to trade the Strat in for it or keep the Strat.

Along with Classic/Hard Rock I play Mexican Classical style finger picking on the acoustic.

I've always kind of wanted to play that Mexi-style, but never been able to, though never really put a lot of effort in either.

I've got a Les Paul ... 81 flame top cherry burst. And an old Norman acoustic, and I've got a stolen Epiphone 355, but don't tell Cheyco.

Sasquatch said:
I've got a Les Paul ... 81 flame top cherry burst. And an old Norman acoustic, and I've got a stolen Epiphone 355, but don't tell Cheyco.

What about your SRV strat?

I'm not worried about the Hot Rod Epiphone. For now the '03 PRS CU22 Brazilian and the '92 PRS CE3 are keeping me occupied. I also have a Martin J-1, an Olympian Steve Irwin, and a PRS Singlecut on order.

I had to scroll down a bit but I am so glad a couple people mentioned Paul McCartney's favorite guitarist, David Gilmore.

Hippie said:
My personal favorite... Frank Zappa!

Frank Zappa...the Original hippie!

what about angus Young? hes gotta be the best guitarist under 5 feet tall...How bout all those shredders like Paul gilbert(racer x),al diMeola or the original shredder Randy Roads...

Trey Anastasio (Phish)
Jerry Garcia (The Grateful Dead)
Buckethead (Buckethead)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Larry LaLonde (Primus)

I was waiting for this thread.

Warren Haynes
Jimmy Page
Neil Young
Old 70's Clapton
David Gilmour

and bonus shots for Jerry Garcia and Michael Hedges

I was lucky enough to have seen all of these guys multiple times (Page only once with the Balck Crowes but he did not disappoint at all).

Caplan said:
Only two i can think of right now are:-

Django Reinhardt - Bloody good to say he was missing a finger too!!!
Robert Johnson
I thought he didn't have arms and played with his feet. Wasn't that what inspired Tony Iommi to start playing again, after he lost the ends of two fingers?
I mean no offense with this one, as you're one of my favorite Brits: You could only think of those two ?!!!

You cats had some really good gitfiddle players. Clapton, Page, Townsend,Jeff Beck, Hendrix (he got famous there first, we made him play for Little Richard).

tom morello is GOD ,will go down in history as a top 10 player and kurt cobain just for his simplicity and being able to write good riffs that we all know

How can nobody mention Mick Ronson or Dave Davies on a best guitarist list.

Man, the first three that come to mind I can't list? (Halen, Hendrix, Satriani) :D

1) Jimmy Page
2) Stevie Ray Vaughn
3) Carlos Santana
4) David Gilmour
5) Jeff Beck

1. Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath - also missing part of a finger.
2. Tim Sult - Clutch - hugely underrated.
3. Frank Zappa - sickest solos ever
4. Ani DiFranco - Just to be controversial
5. Eddie Hazel - Funkadelic - Listen to Maggot Brain for a dose of sick, sick wailing.

sudsmonkey said:
I thought he didn't have arms and played with his feet. Wasn't that what inspired Tony Iommi to start playing again, after he lost the ends of two fingers?
I mean no offense with this one, as you're one of my favorite Brits: You could only think of those two ?!!!

You cats had some really good gitfiddle players. Clapton, Page, Townsend,Jeff Beck, Hendrix (he got famous there first, we made him play for Little Richard).
Sorry Sudsmonkey, Missed this in the general cut and thrust!

Django Reinhardt was a 'Belgian Gypsy' Jazz Guitarist who made his name playing in Paris (with Stephane Grappelli - now he could play fiddle!), then spending WW2 travelling around the rest of Europe/North Africa avoiding the Nazis.

The UK guys you mention all cut their teeth on Blues/Rock and Roll/Jazz - I rate them, they just don't move me like the older players.

And yes I only mentioned two but forgot one. Rory Gallagher!!!!

Cannot believe you all missed Mark Knopfler...best ever (although he can't sing)

if your gonna mention dick dale you gotta mention link wray, the most famous 'd' chord in rock, 'rumble'

link wray is CRAZY to boot, which makes him pretty rockin...in my book.

Aw hell! Dick Dale! Dick Dale and his Del-Tones? People have no idea what good music really is...... And thank you for another vote for David Gilmour!

Back