Too soon to move to AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emgesp1

Reaction score
I've read up on All Grain for quite a while now, and I'm confident to say I think I can do it.

Obviously, it would be using the batch-sparge method, since it's much easier than fly-sparging. MLT seems pretty easy and cheap to make, and I have beersmith to help me with my water to grain ratio and other calculations.

The thing is I've only done 2 extract with specialty grain brews.

I'll be honest, the hardest part of the brewing process was keeping the fermentation stable. The brewing part was easy, like cooking spaghetti, ok maybe not that easy, lol.

So, you think going AG is too soon for me? Obviously, the biggest difference is correctly converting the starches to fermentable sugars.

Try a partial mash or two. Good way of practicing and if you make a mistake, its not a huge deal.

I don't think that it's ever too soon to move to AG. I found out when I made the move that it's not anywhere near as difficult as I had made it out to be in my mind.

There is quite a bit more involved in the process of brewing if you decide to go AG when compared to extract brewing, but once you get the first couple of AG brews under your belt you'll be fine.

I only did one extract batch before going AG, it can be done! AG is as easy as making oatmeal... except you want a certain temperature.

Its really much easier than you think.

-Neal

Really AG is just more equipment intensive...well... if you want decent efficiency percentages. Just means larger brew pot, cooler, IC, burner. You can make an extract brew with only a 20qt pot.

I only did one extract batch before going AG, it can be done!
-Neal
+1

I did one extract batch and moved on. One thing that helped was I got to watch another brewer brew an AG batch. With that and all the reading it was a breeze.

Really, there's no reason why anyone can't skip extract/partial mash and start at all-grain, so why would it be too soon?

All-grain is easy. Jump in with both feet. :mug:

I just made the move. I do a Brew in a Bag style with a cooler. With the stuff I had lying about the house I moved to AG while spending only $3. $3 is the price of a "bag."

I found it easy. My biggest tip for you, if you are trying to save money, is to split you batch into two 20 quart kettles instead of one 36 quart. That way you can get a boil with whatever method you are using for extract.

I just made the move. I do a Brew in a Bag style with a cooler. With the stuff I had lying about the house I moved to AG while spending only $3. $3 is the price of a "bag."

I found it easy. My biggest tip for you, if you are trying to save money, is to split you batch into two 20 quart kettles instead of one 36 quart. That way you can get a boil with whatever method you are using for extract.

Thats true... I guess I could have done that and used two 20qt brew pots. IDK... thats a little ridiculous tho... have to split the hops, the whirlfloc, cooling, etc etc.

It's never too soon to move to AG. It's just a bit more complex initially than starting out with extract and requires more equipment, but it's not rocket science. I brewed one extract batch, then one PM, then went AG.

It is really not that bad. You eyeball most of it. I keep it split for cooling as well. I fill the sink with water and place the kettles in. Change the water ever so often. I think it took about 10-15 minutes last time. I don't want to spend the money on a wort chiller. Copper is wicked pricey now.

Has anyone ever made a pvc wort chiller? I know it would not work as well. But it may work a bit.

i think the time to switch is when you feel ready for it. i went to PMs after a couple of extract batches and it produced some very good beers - but it's been almost a false sense of security now that i'm doing ag. i know the basic principles are the same but you have to pay more attention to volumes and temps to get reasonable and consistent efficiency, but it will come with practice. if you feel ready and have the cash to get the equipment together - go for it!

If you know you like brewing and know that as a hobby that it will be a keeper then going all grain is a good idea. You will brew the best beer possible because you control the mashing process and can brew any type of beer and have it turn out as intended because when using extracts you have no control over fermentables verses unfermentables and don't have a huge assortment of extracts to choose from like all grain does. The best part is that grain is much fresher than extracts.

It is really not that bad. You eyeball most of it. I keep it split for cooling as well. I fill the sink with water and place the kettles in. Change the water ever so often. I think it took about 10-15 minutes last time. I don't want to spend the money on a wort chiller. Copper is wicked pricey now.

Has anyone ever made a pvc wort chiller? I know it would not work as well. But it may work a bit.
Go here and buy 50 feet of 3/8 tubing. You can put together a good copper IC chiller with the tubing and hose connects for 45-50 bucks.

I've read up on All Grain for quite a while now, and I'm confident to say I think I can do it.

Obviously, it would be using the batch-sparge method, since it's much easier than fly-sparging. MLT seems pretty easy and cheap to make, and I have beersmith to help me with my water to grain ratio and other calculations.

I'll be honest, the hardest part of the brewing process was keeping the fermentation stable. The brewing part was easy, like cooking spaghetti, ok maybe not that easy, lol.

So, you think going AG is too soon for me? Obviously, the biggest difference is correctly converting the starches to fermentable sugars.

You'll do just fine.

I just finished brewing an AG American Ale. This will be my first beer brewed in over a decade. Prior to that, I'd only brewed two- 5 gallon batches with DME.
It really wasn't that difficult to brew using AG and I was within a point of hitting my OG. You just need to plan ahead. There's a couple of really helpful threads on this site. I'd suggest poking your snout around the beginner threads.
this one was helpful.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/attention-new-all-grain-brewers-30466/

so was this one.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Any other questions, just ask. There's a bunch of collective wisdom on these boards. Brewing AG for me was akin to Neo taking the red pill <wink>

Good Luck and happy brewing.

my reply may not be neccessary after all the others, but just to chime in, DO IT!

i did two or three (can't remember now) extract brews with a bit of steeping grains, and then went AG

i will never understand why it seems so intimidating, although, it was for me as well the first time, but it's so easy, and rewarding. the ONLY things that going AG is/does is more time involved in brewing, more cleanup (time) and a bit of an up front cost for the gear that pays for itself after a couple brews in the savings of grain versus extract.

DO IT :ban:

check out the threads in my sig for PM and AG brewing...you could probably give it a shot without investing in too much equipment right away.

Latest posts

Back