Too rack or not rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no it's not necessary. though some still like to do it for every beer. others will only do it if they are adding fruit, dry hopping or whatever. I don't use secondary because i'm lazy. I'm okay with that.

Ultimately it's your decision as it's your brewery.

Best of luck! :mug:

Standards of practice have come a long way. Racking to secondary is a solution in search of a problem at this point. Unless you have a good reason, you don't need to move the beer from primary.

This may be the most discussed topic on this forum. I rarely encourage a member to search out a thread, but in this case I will make an exception. Please do a search. There is a TON of information on the use of secondaries out there.

I rack every beer, in part because that's the way it was taught when I started, but now more so because I've developed gout. One of the big gout no-no's is brewers yeast. Well, I'm not giving up my hobby, so I do all I can to filter it out, aside from using an actual filter. As long as I don't partake in a yeast bomb at a HB Club meeting, I'm a-ok with managing the gout.

Standards of practice have come a long way. Racking to secondary is a solution in search of a problem at this point. Unless you have a good reason, you don't need to move the beer from primary.

This ^^^^^.

Another vote for this answer.

Back