Too Much Salt in a Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantheman13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Wee Heavy and accidentally used too many salt additions (I use distilled water). I didn't realize it at the time because the heavy malty body covered up the mistake (it came off as a very slight bacon flavor). I brewed the same recipe and soured it this time. With the bugs thinning the caramel malts out, the beer became very salty (tasted at about a month). I then realized I got carried away with my salt additions, and was a little irritated with myself. I started designing plans on how I could dilute the overly salty sour beer.

I recently tasted the beer again (1.5 months after the first tasting - video is the latest on my youtube page if interested) and was rather shocked that the saltiness was gone. It appears as though the Brett and/or bacterias metabolized the extra salt! Has anyone else every experienced this? Is there any research out there that talks about Brett and/or bacterias metabolizing minerals?

Here were the salts I used (5 gallon batch):
16g Calcium Chloride
5g Baking Soda
5g Gypsum
4g Epsom

(For those interested, the next time I brew this I will just use about 8g Calcium Chloride and 4g Epsom).

It may not have been excess minerals. Sours go through all sorts of weird flavor-stages as they age, most likely it was something else rather than "salt metabolization" as that isn't a thing brewing yeast/bacteria can do as far as I'm aware. Not sure what ~400 PPM chloride tastes like, but it doesn't look like any of the other ions are high enough to cause issues.

Thanks much for the feedback, Mike. The taste of the beer was sour up front, then had a very salty aftertaste, exactly like drinking salt water that you might gargle with to relieve a sore throat. It was pretty distinct, and heavy enough to make the beer really hard to drink. I suppose I should just be happy that I don't have to dilute it, but what happened to the salty flavor? Perhaps it was absorbed somehow by the trub or oak spiral like a potato would do in an overly salted soup? I dunno, this doesn't make sense to me either!

Back