Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfinnegan

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a Growler with beer in conditioning stage explode in my pantry. only thing I know that would cause that is too much priming sugar does that sound right?

Oh really? I've been doing it this way for years... First time it's ever exploded on me. This particular growler has been used this way at least 15 times. Maybe I should haut bottle it

Only experience I can share with exploding bottles... came from bottling TOO soon! Had a batch that still tasted sweet when I bottled it. Dumped in a normal dose of priming sugar anyway. A few months later, we had bottles that would gush, or foam for like 20 minutes, or explode if they were bounced around too much. It was a high gravity Porter that didn't finish where it was supposed to and I really didn't pay attention to the warning signs.

Listen to your taste buds at bottling time ( ;

So strange thing... I cracked open one of the 12 oz. bottles I used in the bottling process for a "taste test" and it was perfect! Even a week early... Than I cracked open one of the other growlers for my wife and I and it was pretty flat. Wierd uh?

Did you stir the sugar solution in your beer before bottling? My guess is that you ended up with more sugar in some bottles and the growler that exploded, and far less sugar in the growler that is still flat. A lot of people don't stir but I always do it gently to make sure sugar is evenly mixed.

Now that you mention it, I filled a couple growlers then remembered to stir. I think you hit the nail in te head there.

Back