Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barra088

Reaction score
So I just bottled my second batch of beer (first batch turned out awesome), this time I brewed the Honey Nut Brown Ale kit from Midwest supplies. I read a review on the Midwest website of the kit where the brewer added 1 cup of DME and 1/4 cup of brown sugar to prime with. He went on to say that he won a local competition, so I figured I do the same and give it a try. Everything I read at first said priming with brown sugar shouldn't have any negative effects, but now I'm a little worried I added a little too much sugar and am concerned about bottle bombs. I bottled last night around 3:00 AM so it hasn't been too long. The 5 gallon batch spent 10 days in primary fermentation and 12 days in secondary with a FG of 1.013 taken right before bottling. Am I just overreacting or should I be worried?

You should always add priming sugar by weight, not volume. Depending on how tightly you packed the cups, it's impossible to know how much sugar you really added.

Even so, it does sound like you added a bit too much. The only thing to do is to wait and see. Keep them in a safe place, so that if they do blow, nobody gets hurt.

Latest posts

Back