Too much priming sugar, run for cover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krauskizar

Reaction score
So three days ago I accidentally used priming sugar that had been measured for 5 gallons for a 2.5 gallon batch. Does anyone know, did this ruin the entire 2.5 gallons? Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Should I just dump it down the drain before bottles start exploding?

Thanks for the help.

It's hard to say. I don't bottle often anymore, but when I do, I use different amounts of sugar for most batches. Different beer styles need more carbonation. How much did you put in is the question...

put it in a rubbermade tub in the closet to be safest is what I've read elsewhere

So three days ago I accidentally used priming sugar that had been measured for 5 gallons for a 2.5 gallon batch. Does anyone know, did this ruin the entire 2.5 gallons? Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Should I just dump it down the drain before bottles start exploding?

Thanks for the help.

How long ago did you bottle? You may be able to pop the caps to release some pressure and then recap the bottles. You can also try one every day until it has enough carbonation, and then put them all in the fridge. The cold will keep the yeast from producing more carbonation, but the beer will probably taste funny with the extra sugar.

If they have already been in the bottles for a week or more they may be already over carbed. You'll want to cool the bottle down in the fridge before popping the cap. The cold will help the beer absorb the CO2, keeping it from spraying all over when you open one.

This is simply an idea by a rather inexperienced brewer. Couldn't you open the bottles up, let some "pressure" off then recap? Maybe do this a couple of times? Since you used priming sugar which is 100% fermentable, shouldn't the only by product then be just a slightly higher alcohol percent?

This is simply an idea by a rather inexperienced brewer. Couldn't you open the bottles up, let some "pressure" off then recap? Maybe do this a couple of times? Since you used priming sugar which is 100% fermentable, shouldn't the only by product then be just a slightly higher alcohol percent?

I would think uncapping to release pressure would be an excercise in futility.

If you have overcarbed them, they may spew out like champaign after you pop the top.

Whatever you do refrigerate them for a week or two before opening one.

for cane sugar:
1 cup of cane sugar = ~8oz
8oz of cane sugar in 2.5 gallons would yield over 7 volumes of C02 (assuming you bottled at 70 degrees F)
7 volumes of CO2 = definite bottle bombs

if you used corn sugar:
1 cup corn sugar = ~5.3 ounces
5.3 ounces in 2.5 gallons would yield ~4.8 volumes of CO2 (assuming 70 degrees F)
4.8 volumes of C02 = possible (probable?) bottle bombs

They'll definately be overcarb'd, but I don't think you'll have bombs. I use 4-4.2 volumes all the time for wheat beers. I've never had an explosion. I think the rubbermaid container is a good idea just incase.

put it in a rubbermade tub in the closet to be safest is what I've read elsewhere

I have a couple bottles that I think might be infected/exploding bombs so I stuck them in the sanitizing bucket with the lid on tight.

Just in case.

How did this turn out?

I made a 5 gallon batch of Hefe and bottled it yesterday. My wife gave me a different measuring cup and I wasn't really thinking and I accidentally used 1 3/4 cup of corn sugar which is just about double the amount needed. My situation sounds similar to yours.

I just bottled it last night and I hardly slept, I kept thinking I heard bottles exploding. :mad:

Some of the bottles are Groelish bottles so I popped one open this morning and it barely fizzed, so I guess I have a few days until critical mass is reached.

I was thinking of waiting about 72 hours and then popping off the caps and recap them.

I am sick - I haven't brewed in 5-6 years because I got frustrated, and to get back into it I brewed an easy Hefe to get my confidence back and then I go and do something dumb like this. A lot of my neighbors are just dying to try out this batch since I've talked about homebrewing for years. :tank:

I did what you did on my first batch of SWMBO slayer. Dumped 10 gallons worth of sugar into each 5 gallon batch. I ended up with 3.7 vols CO2. The beer was well carbed for sure, but I did not get a single bomb. OTOH, I bottled a recent batch before it had finished fermenting out, and about half my bottles blew up. The ones that didn't explode were very VERY carbed.

I'd be interested to know what pressure the average bottle can withstand...

When a bottle explodes, is it loud?

Do I have potential hand grenades? :D

I have them all in a spare bathroom in the bathtub and covered them all with a couple of blankets. I am afraid it they do explode and are too loud if they will scare my 6 yr daughter.

I am also worried if one explodes if it will set off a chain reaction and the rest of them may go off.

I think my current plan is to wait 3-4 days and then recap them.

I don't know if it was loud. I had them in my garage, and I was out of the country at the time!

My worry about uncapping would be they then end up too flat.

I had a wine bottle recently explode. I didn't know you can't carbonate in wine bottles (I didn't even think about it) until after the damage was done. About a week after bottling with 6oz. of corn sugar for 4.5 gallons, I had one explode. I was in bed at 3 in the morning. It was in the downstairs cellar, in a rubbermaid container, under a sleeping bag....and I still heard it. That's a wine bottle though + lots more pressure. Not sure how a beer bottle would sound.

I'm a bit worried about this.

I think my only hope for saving the batch is to open the bottles at some point to let off the pressure and then put new caps on them. I just have to decide when to time it so that adequate pressure and carbonation can still build up. I am thinking about 3-4 days after the initial bottling...?

It's pretty simple really. Which do you value more, 5 gallons of beer or your hands?

If you have known potential bottle bombs you are risking having one blow up in your hand every time you open a bottle.

It's pretty simple really. Which do you value more, 5 gallons of beer or your hands?

If you have known potential bottle bombs you are risking having one blow up in your hand every time you open a bottle.

When you put it that way, the answer is pretty obvious. However, I thought it would be fairly easy to try and save my work by letting off some pressure half way through the carbonation process.

When you put it that way, the answer is pretty obvious. However, I thought it would be fairly easy to try and save my work by letting off some pressure half way through the carbonation process.

Your best option now is to put them in the fridge and drink them as soon as possible once they get cold. If they haven't blown up yet, then the pressure isn't great enough. Yes, you could have some gushers, but I doubt you'll need to worry about one breaking in your hands if they're cold. Wear gloves and long sleeves and eye protection just incase.

Your best option now is to put them in the fridge and drink them as soon as possible once they get cold. If they haven't blown up yet, then the pressure isn't great enough. Yes, you could have some gushers, but I doubt you'll need to worry about one breaking in your hands if they're cold. Wear gloves and long sleeves and eye protection just incase.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's been almost 48 hours now and I popped open two groelish bottles this morning and they had a nice, gentle "pop" and then some decent bubbling. I think I am going to pop them all open tonight and let them sit for about a minute each and then reseal.

Dunno... its just a hail mary at this point. :cross:

Yep, real easy and it will work 99.9% of the time. You're a pilot, how does that sound for engine reliability?

Yep, real easy and it will work 99.9% of the time. You're a pilot, how does that sound for engine reliability?

What works 99.9% of the time? Throwing them away? That would work 100% of the time.

I've had 4 people PM me saying that opening and resealing will probably work, and 1 other person told me they've used nearly that much sugar and did not have an explosion.

What works 99.9% of the time? Throwing them away? That would work 100% of the time.

I've had 4 people PM me saying that opening and resealing will probably work, and 1 other person told me they've used nearly that much sugar and did not have an explosion.

I meant that there is probably on the order of 3 9's likelihood that nothing bad would happen, no broken bottles etc. Heck you can probably add another 9 just for breaking in the carton and not in your hand.

Well it's been about a month since I made my mistake and only one bottle broke. I picked the bottle up from the bathtub where it was in storage and the bottom of the bottle was stuck to the tub. I was kind of shocked when the bottle felt lighter than usual.

Anyway, the beer is EXTREMELY bubbly. When drinking immediately after pouring, it feels like you are drinking a soft drink. :ban:

I did find that if I pour a glass and then let it sit for about 20 minutes, that its not bad at all and tastes pretty good.

So I think for the rest of the 50 of so bottles, I will just pour a couple when I am ready to drink them and then stick the mug in the 'fridge for 20 minutes to keep it cold while the excess carbonation works itself out. :D

Back