Too much pressure and kruesen for air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostbrewer

Reaction score
Started fermentation of a Belgian Ale: 5 gal w/ 1.112 OG in a 7 gal bucket fermentor. Lag time ~ 6 hrs, been going for about 18 hours. I had to remove the airlock 30 minutes ago. Tried changing out several times and placed it as high as possible in the grommet but it refilled with foam in a < 1 minute and the lid was SERIOUSLY bulging. Oh, and I used a 1/2 gal starter built up twice from two packs of SAFALE 04 dry yeast.

I have resorted to leaving the airlock out and am trusting that the flow of CO2 out the airlock hole will prevent contamination until I can reinsert the airlock.

Anyone else have experience with this and how did it turn out?

Do you have a 3-piece airlock with the bell? If you remove the cap and bell, a piece of sanitized 1/2" tubing will fit nicely on the stem of the airlock. Run that tube into a jar full of sanitizer, and your problem is solved.

Do a search for "blow off" or "blow off tube" and you'll find all sorts of info on what you're dealing with. It's a very common issue and it's completely normal when you have an aggressive fermentation. The jist of it is that when you have aggressive fermentation that reaches and clogs the air lock you could potentially have a VERY large mess on your hands when the pressure builds up and blows the lid off!

People will temporarily replace the airlock with a blow off tube stuck in the hole in the lid (be careful to not push the grommet into the beer, lol, ask me how I know!) and place the other end of the tube into a container of sanitizer solution to catch the blow off. Once things calm down you can choose to pull the tube out and put the airlock back in or just leave the blow off tube until fermentation is complete.

All - thank you both for the quick reply. I used my siphon tube to rig a temp blow-off tube to the air lock hole (an kept the grommet where it belonged!!) and ran it to my 1 gal fermentor with sanitizing solution. So far, its bubbling away and looks like the tube is short enough that it is not building up as much back-pressure. Beats relying on internal pressure alone for keeping the bugs out!!

Again, thanks!!

All - thank you both for the quick reply. I used my siphon tube to rig a temp blow-off tube to the air lock hole (an kept the grommet where it belonged!!) and ran it to my 1 gal fermentor with sanitizing solution. So far, its bubbling away and looks like the tube is short enough that it is not building up as much back-pressure. Beats relying on internal pressure alone for keeping the bugs out!!

Again, thanks!!

Perfect! Just keep an eye on the tube to make sure it doesn't get clogged up and you'll be good to go!

Fermcap works wonders!

Yes it does! Love the stuff, but it isn't always enough! This monster RIS had the recommended dosage of Fermcap, but it still spewed forth enough blow off to start a mini fermentation in the blow off vessel!

DSC02202.jpg

DSC02204.jpg

You got it figured out - but just to add many German brews are open-fermented. So not having anything is not big deal when you have the protection of the kraeusen.

Back