Too much foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
Why am I getting to much foamy head on my brew when I pour into a mug? I wasted an entire bottle the other day. I used the standard 5oz priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch on bottling day. To much priming sugar?

Sugar was mixed the same as my
Previous 4 batches. It was chilled for two days in the fridge then poured in a frosty mug. Any thoughts?

nickel23 said:
Sugar was mixed the same as my Previous 4 batches. It was chilled for two days in the fridge then poured in a frosty mug. Any thoughts?

Hey nickel23.

Rare that you hear people complaining about too much head!

Did you take gravity readings? If you bottle your brew at too high a gravity and give it simple sugars, it will definitely overcarbonate and give you the problem you have.

If not, you might want to try a different glass and not chilling it (the glass), it ain't a Budweiser. This might not be the type of beer you made, but Belgian beers are usually overcarbonated so you may want to try a glass appropriate for that style (a tulip), and adopting a proper pouring technique. There are plenty of comprehensive videos on YouTube. Again, avoid pouring it out like a standard macro brew.

Hope this helps.

I have never used that much sugar to prime, it's always been less than 4oz . 4 or 5 you might say ? It sounds different when you say 20% difference !

I've recently had the same problem. Turns out I bottled too soon. Fermentation was not done. I would take the advice that you need to take gravity readings to confirm that fermentation is done. Dont go by bubbling has stopped, you can still have fermentation going.

I didn't take a final reading. It had been in the primary for 6 weeks, so I assumed it was good to go. Is that to much time in the primary for pale ale?

Crack each bottle and recap this will help you a bit to release some carbonation.

Frosty mug is one reason, in my experience. Them things will foam tap Bud Light.
Try one in a regular, room temp glass.

nickel23 said:
I didn't take a final reading. It had been in the primary for 6 weeks, so I assumed it was good to go. Is that to much time in the primary for pale ale?

6 weeks for a pale ale is a long time, but certainly no harm done leaving it in so long.

I had one that was over carbed and the only way to drink it was to slowly pour it into a 4 cup measuring cup and then wait for the head to go down. Then I transfered it to a drinking glass and enjoyed it.

The 5oz they include in many kits is usually a bit too much. 4.0-4.25oz (by weight, not volume) is going to get you closer to the 2.4-2.5 volumes of CO2 that work well for getting a good drinking carb.

For this batch, I like C-rider's suggestion best.

Back