Too much dme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldf150

Reaction score
I put together an experimental(actually a bunch of left over components) brew, and need some advice ASAP regarding the OG. The recipe is a 2.5 gallon minimash with the following milled grain steeped 30 min @ 160F: 1.25 lb pilsner , .25 lb melanoidin, .25 lb light crystal 15. The DME is 1 lb each of amber, light and wheat. The hops are Saphir .5 oz for 30 min, and Hallertau .25 oz for 10 min and at flameout. The yeast is T58. The OG on this mess was 1.065 @ 76F. My question is: is this too high to expect a drinkable result? Should I water it down, and if so, how and when?

What's your IBU estimate?

1.065, in general, is definitely not too high. Many beer styles have higher gravities. Maybe I'm not understanding the question...

I guess my question was vague. I am just unsure if the types of ingredients ( light and wheat dme, and light grains), typical of lighter ales, will yield a decent drink with that high of an. OG.

Latest posts

Back