Too much chalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
What happens to the taste and mouth feel if you add too much chalk after the wort is boiled and cooled. This has nothing to do with mashing or water hardness, it's a taste/mouthfeel question.

I am interested in storing wort in a no Chill container for a few months and then using it for beer.
To mitigate the possibility of botulism I can acidify (phosphoric acid) the wort down to a pH of 4.5.
For IPAs thats too low a pH, and I want to neutralize some of the acid.
The calcium Carbonate container warns against adding too much chalk else you get a chalky taste/mouth feel.

How does one get excess chalk to settle into the trub?
Are there certain finings one can use to target the chalk?

The alternative to chalk is some kind of material thats very basic like sodium or calcium hydroxide. They are hazardous to handle, but would require far less material than chalk to neutralize some of the acidity.

Any chalk is too much. It's totally unsuited to brewing. Takes days to dissolve at normal CO2 partial pressures.

Chalk has a habit of sticking around

SevenSisters%20xtrawide.jpg

I suppose if you were adding it to finished beer it might work for that purpose. Once it is in solution I wouldn't think anything other than boiling would get it to precipitate out.

What are you making and what are you seeking to accomplish?

As I said in the original post
>>I am interested in storing wort in a no Chill container for months, and to mitigate the possibility of botulism I can acidify (phosphoric acid) the wort down to a pH of 4.5. For IPAs thats too low a pH, and I want to neutralize some of the acid.

1. Brew 10 gallons of wort, put 5 of it in a no chill container.
2. Add Phosphoric acid to lower the pH to 4.5
3. 2+ months go by
4. Add a base to raise the pH to 5.1 or 5.2
5. Add yeast

The question is what base to add.
It sounds like Pickling lime is a good choice.
I was wondering about chalk, since it's safer , but if it has taste/mouthfeel consequences, then no thanks.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to make with this process. Are you making malt vinegar or a sour, or are you intending this to be traditional beer in the end?

Ok, I will bite. Why do you want to store wort that long before pitching yeast and fermenting?

Ok, I will bite. Why do you want to store wort that long before pitching yeast and fermenting?

Because I can brew a larger amount of wort than I need , and save the rest for when I need it.

I'd rather make a 5 gallon beer, then 1-2 months later make another 5 gallon beer, than have a 10 gallon beer that sits for several months, especially if it's an IPA or Pale ale.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to make with this process. Are you making malt vinegar or a sour, or are you intending this to be traditional beer in the end?

I want to make a traditional beer.
I'd like to even try this with an IPA, to see how the hops deteriorate or not, while the wort sits, untouched by yeast.

Because I can brew a larger amount of wort than I need , and save the rest for when I need it.

I'd rather make a 5 gallon beer, then 1-2 months later make another 5 gallon beer, than have a 10 gallon beer that sits for several months, especially if it's an IPA or Pale ale.

I want to make a traditional beer.
I'd like to even try this with an IPA, to see how the hops deteriorate or not, while the wort sits, untouched by yeast.

So you want fresh beer(according to the hops, without having to brew that often. You make a 10 gallon batch of wort, and split it into two five gallon batches at separate times? Am I following this correctly?

I'm afraid you're in uncharted territory here. You'll just have to try it and report back with your results.

So you want fresh beer(according to the hops, without having to brew that often. You make a 10 gallon batch of wort, and split it into two five gallon batches at separate times? Am I following this correctly?

I brew 10 gallons of wort, and maybe do a hot hop stand for 20 minutes at 185.
Then I transfer 5 gallons to a No Chill container (keeping the other 5 for use that day), and add Phosphoric acid.
The container is stored for 6-8 weeks. Then when I need it, I pour it into a fermenting bucket, add some base to raise the pH, and add yeast.

If Chalk isn't practical (I need several ounces to raise the pH from 4.5 to 5.2) I can try Pickling Lime.
I'll wear goggles and gloves.

Latest posts

Back