Too much carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da11en47

Reaction score
This seems to be an ongoing theme for me, first with Mr Beer Kits and now my bucket kits.

My latest brown ale seems to have a bit too much carbonation, a proper pour leaves way too much head that lingers forever. It's been carbing for over a month and I usually put it in the fridge for a few days before drinking. I followed the recipe correctly as far as I know.

My questions are does anyone periodically stir the bottling bucket while racking, in order to try and keep everything mixed evenly throughout the process? What could be some other reasons why there is so much carbonation?

I understand that certain beers should have different carbonation levels and I'm wondering if the pre-measured packets of sugar included in the kits are too generic and should broken down and measured according to the type of beer, instead of putting the whole thing in. Thanks.

I rack on top of the sugar solution and than stick a sanitized spoon in and very carefully and slowly stir it not to cause oxidation, but enough the mix it.
Google for a beer priming calculator and go from there next time. might just be a generic amount of sugar in the kits.

Are you boiling your sugar in a water solution and then cooling it before adding it to the bottling bucket? If you add it dry, it will be hard to get it mixed in.

I agree it might be just a generic amount of priming sugar in the kit - I've gotten some that way.

Yes I do boil a cup of water and mix in the sugar, but I don't let it cool. I have heard the small amount of hot water doesn't have an effect.

Wowww I just checked out the priming calculator on Northern Brewer and the difference between English Brown Ale and Cream Ale(my latest) is substantial. This could defiantly be the problem. Time to buy a scale now.

Back