Too much boil off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin476

Reaction score
Well ill try not to be too long here but brewing in a garage while its about 20 degrees sucks, this was one of my first AG brews and while boiling there was sooo much steam coming out of my keggle I couldnt tell how my boil was going or my volume. This was supposed to be an arrogant bastard clone and I boiled for 6.5 gal to about 3.5-4 Im pretty bummed about it and this brew is done fermenting but what would you guys do? I was thinking of brewing a light pale ale and blending? Oh and I didnt add more water because when I racked to my ale pale I did it form a few feet up and there was so much foam i couldnt see my volume, stupid mistake but I learned.

Did you measure your OG before fermenting? I have topped off post boil in the past. You can always top off at secondary and add some fruit or honey to mix it up a bit...seeing as how it's not a clone anymore. I've even topped off when priming for bottling. Worst case, you will still be drinking beer :drunk:

Really? you think just add enough water? I had thought about it but had no idea if it would work, I guess I might as well taste it and maybe just experiment in glasses...

I had the same thing happen. I would add water because If yours came out like mine it will taste like cough syrup if you dont! hahah

I routinely add bottle water to my brews when they come up short. I've gotten to the point that I can predict how many bottles to add by reading the OG and end up with exactly the volume I want. Living in an area with temperature extremes, makes it hard to nail down a boil off rate.

I routinely add bottle water to my brews when they come up short. I've gotten to the point that I can predict how many bottles to add by reading the OG and end up with exactly the volume I want.

I have done this too, but before I ferment. In this case I had no idea how much I had in my bucket when I pitched the yeast. This has been fermenting for 2 weeks.

Back