Too Many Kegs. What Should I Do??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC_Brewer

Reaction score
So, after trial and error and then trial and error again Im finally asking the experts.

Im currently in the process of building a Brutus 10 and have almost everything done except the keggles. On my first attempt I screwed up and had galvanized fitting placed on them instead of SS. So I got another 3 kegs and this time 2 of them are aluminum. I already have all the SS fitting I need to put on them but the welder says he cant weld SS on aluminum.

So in all I have 3 SS Keggles with galvanized fitting, 1 SS Keggle with SS fittings, and 2 Aluminum kegs.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with all these it would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to finish this project up and get a batch brewed before I deploy so Ill have some nice beer to come home to.

Thanks in advance

I would cut the galvanized fittings off the ss kegs and then weld ss fittings on should be easy......

The guy I have welding said he couldn't just cut the fittings out. He would have to cut out the SS and re-patch it. Does that sound right?

I vote keep the one SS keg with SS Fittings, try and salvage of the other SS Kegs and get fittings for them. Scrap the others, u might get some ok $$ to help pay for the new fittings depending on where u live.

"...So in all I have 3 SS Keggles with galvanized fitting, 1 SS Keggle with SS fittings, and 2 Aluminum kegs..."
>
>
Keep the SS with SS fitting, have the welder do whatever he has to do to fix the other 2 SS kegs, sell the 2 Aluminum kegs to some hot rodder for fuel cells.
But I am absolutely shocked that the keg-police have not jumped in here and chastized you for having a keggle in the first place :^)

The guy I have welding said he couldn't just cut the fittings out. He would have to cut out the SS and re-patch it. Does that sound right?

I hope you have changed welders since that first guy welded galv fittings to you SS keg!
If not I would take the galv/SS kegs to a new welder and ask his advise

Cut the galv. fittings out and replace with tri-clamp fittings (which take a much larger hole anyway) If you like the tri-clamp fittings, great... use em. If not, those 3 kegs will sell for a PRETTY PENNY with stainless tri-clamps outfitted to them.

Step 1:
Fire the welder who stuck the galvanized fittings on the stainless keg.

Step 2: have a beer.

Step 3: what they said about replacing the galvanized fitting with a stainless one. Go a size up if you must.

With what you have you can either take the SS keg with galvanized fittings in, cut the SS around the fitting, weld a new piece of SS in and start over, or weld aluminum fittings in the aluminum kegs.

Your welder is useless...welding galvanized to stainless. Huge fail.

And where did you find aluminum kegs? The 1950's??

I'd advise to buy kettles and stop destroying kegs.

So it seems like the vote is to replace the galvanized fittings with the SS ones. The NEW welder I have said he would have to cut out the area around the fittings and patch them with SS. Does that sound right?

As you can tell I don't know much about welding so I am trying to be extra careful before I make my next move.

I'm truly skeptical about the aluminum kegs being aluminum. Are you sure? Aluminum kegs are really hard to find.

Take a brass key and try to scratch them. If they won't scratch, then they're harder than brass and aluminum, which means that they're most likely stainless steel.

I once asked a welder how to tell if something is stainless steel vs. aluminum and he told me to use a magnet on them. "The magnet will stick to stainless but it won't stick to aluminum" he said. That's not true.

Yes they'll need to cut them out and patch. I like the tri-clover fitting idea though, takes a larger hole anyway and then you can change out fittings whenever you wanted.

Back