Too Many Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyc

Reaction score
6 lbs Light LME
3 lbs Light DME
.5 lb Belgian Biscuit
.5 Crystal 40L

2 oz Zeus (14.5) @ 60
2 oz Centennial (9.5) @ 40
2 oz Centennial (9.5) @ 25
2 oz Cascade (whole cones) (6) @ 5
1 oz Cascade (whole cones) dry hopped

California Ale Yeast

I'm getting 1.074 OG, 120 IBUs. Too many hops? Go for a nice, round 10oz? Does it seem balanced? (hopefully not :) )

That's a LOT of bittering hops, even with 9bs of extract.

You cold always back off on it when you brew it. Taste it as you get closer to bottling time and (if necessary) boil some more hops in water and add it late in the game to bump the IBUs if it seems appropriate.

Making beer is just like cooking food... you can always add more spice if it needs it, but you can't take it out if there's too much.

-walker

Having tried super-hopping levels myself, I'd have to say shooting for anything over 90 IBU is a waste of hops. I'd cut the centennial to 1 oz. at each add and swap the cascades adds, 1 oz. at 5 minutes and 2 for dry hopping.

Yeah, I've read in a variety of places that anything over 100 isn't noticeable. I like your suggestion of switching up the later hop additions to introduce more aroma and flavor. Maybe I'll spread 3 oz of Centennial at increments during mid-brew, maybe 40, 30, 20.

2 Zeus @ 60
1 Cent. @ 40
1 Cent. @ 30
1 Cent. @ 20
1 Cascade @ 5
2 Cascade - dryhopped.

I like it.

i read the title of this post and laughed. too many hops- ha! actually you do have to many hops, any of the above suggestions would work. 80 IBUs is my tops for hops.

Back