Too many Banjo Burners to choose from - advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brock_gonad

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble making heads or tails of the Banjo Burner catalog. There's too many to choose from. I'm hoping for some help choosing.

I'll be using a 15 gallon pot, targeting 10 gallon batches.

I guess my concerns, in order are;

• Speed / heat
  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Size (I have a relatively small space - all things equal, would take a smaller unit)
  • Price (this is one thing that doesn't matter as much - I'd rather pay an extra $20 if it means saving propane and/or time)
I'm looking at the catalog, which appears to include some newer models here;

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/single_propane_burner.htm

Thanks for the help.

Corey

Of those 9 units, there are only 3-4 actual different burners represented and 9 different stands.

The KAB4 and KAB6 are the only ones that actually have the "Banjo Burner" as their installed burner. Those are going to be the most efficient. The stands don't look as nice as some of the others, but they are very strong and practical. I'd go for the KAB4 for your needs. It is rated up to 20 gallon pots (filled with water, of course). The KAB6 is the same thing, but has thicker grade steel for up to 40 gallon pots.

They do put the Banjo Burner into many of those other stands if you want something that looks nicer, just shop around. Also check out the Blichmann Burner. Very nice stainless steel, with pretty much the same burner.

All that said, I have the SP10, and it certainly gets the job done as well. Works for both my 11 gallon BIAB pot as well as my 15.5 gallon keggle, though I added a grill grate to accomodate the width of the keggle. Sounds like a small jet engine. I get about 4-5 batches out of a 20lb propane tank, while the Banjo Burners are going to get about 5-6, so not that much difference, but the extra $30 for the Banjo Burners will pay for itself after about 30 batches. I'm looking to upgrade to a Blichmann myself, but only for the BLING factor, not due to performance.

I like my KAB4. Definitely enough heat for whatever you are doing. And very quiet. The stand is a little low for me so I just set it on a couple of cinder block bricks.

Back