Too little 'sugar' at beginning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Have made an IPA from canned extract. Due to some (questionable?) advice from an employee at the local brew supplier I used 500g (about a lb) of Amber Dry Malt Extract in my wort and that is all for sugars\yeast munchies other than sugar at bottling time. I should add that the directions called for 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of corn sugar, but unfortunately I didn't read them due to the "just do this-this and this" directions I got from the store. Seems weird they would sell it in bags which are half the size you need.
Anyway, this batch has been bottled so it is too late to change anything now, and I am quite willing to just see what happens, but I have another batch in the primary now using the same small amount of DME and was wondering:
should I try and add something more at this point or just see what happens again. I'm trying to get a few batches bottled quickly so don't necessarily have the luxury of learning from past mistakes.
Has anyone made a successful batch with such a small amount of sugars?
Thanks

whats were your gravity readings?
500g or a kg of dextrose should have gone in.
how long has the 2nd batch been brewing?
the beer will have a low alcohol content but should taste ok

Thanks for the replies

It was a 5 gallon batch

1.012 was FG, no OG taken
Not clear on what your 2nd line means. 500g is enough for DME, but not dextrose?
2nd batch has been in primary for 8 days.
Low alcohol is ok. Had first bottle (1 week in bottles) on the weekend and it tasted good. Flat as water but tasty. Was already feeling no pain by that time of night so not sure of alcohol content :)

Back