Too little priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
OK -
So 5 weeks ago I bottled my brown ale. It was a 4 gallon batch, and I expected 3.75g in the bottling bucket - so I carbed to 1.9 volumes c02 using 2oz corn sugar. I actually ended up with just about 4g in the bottling bucket, so I needed about another half ounce of priming sugar. For 5 weeks the bottles have been holding at 70 degrees.

Anyway, 3 weeks in, I opened a bottle and got a slight psst. No head at all, and very flat. Waited 2 more weeks, opened another bottle and no change. Did I just add too little priming sugar? I can see that maybe it needs to go longer, but would expect some kind of change after 2 more weeks. It tastes green, like it did when I sampled what was left over in the bottling bucket - like priming sugar.

The beer also has 0 mouthfeel, very dry, considering it finished at 1.015. Any ideas?

Have you met Revvy? If not, you're about to.

I understand the whole you have to wait deal - but this is an average gravity beer that has been in the bottle for 5 weeks. I would expect SOME improvement at this point, even if it needs longer, and simply want to know opinions on if I added too little priming sugar for the batch. I have read Revvy's replies on these threads many times, and I know that it takes time for a bottle to carb, but it has been over a month with 0 noticeable improvement from bottling - other than a slight fizz when I open the bottles.

All I am asking is if 2 oz corn sugar will give the seen result when used in 4g of beer.

It is quite possible that the "green" taste I am tasting is the hops - though it SHOULD be only 22 IBU (1.052 og, if I remember).

2 oz of sugar is less than half what I use. I typically use 5 oz corn sugar for 5 gallons. So, "Yes" that could explain why the beer is flat.

Your 1.9 volumes is correct, but somewhere you read off the incorrect amount of sugar.

According to TastyBrew.com's priming calculator, 1.75 Volumes CO2 would require 2oz Corn Sugar for 4 Gal @ 70F. So I think your measurements are correct.

I don't use a calculator. I prime all my beers pretty much the same, and all seem to come out well.

For the longest time I used 2/3rds cup of can sugar for 5 gallons. Some while ago I decided to weigh it. It was 5 ozs, so now I just use 1 oz per gallon.

Corn sugar has 20% less fermentables for the same weight, so compared with what I usually use, you under-primed.

Well - this is my "Christmas" beer, so it will be around for another month. We will see if it carbs up more. It needs work anyway, not quite the flavor I was looking for. I wanted something much more malty.

Just out of curiosity, what is the carb level at 1.9 volumes like? I assume it has much more than what I have now. I was shooting for a carb level like a New Belgium 1554.

How would you categorize New Belgium 1554? To me probably most similar to a dark american brown ale or a robust porter.

TastyBrew.com calculator lists those styles with average volumes:
American Brown - 1.5 - 2.5
Robust Porter - 1.8 - 2.5

Back