Too late to add pectic enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
So I just made Yooper's Apple Wine but I did not add pectic enzyme to the mix.
I don't remember now why I didn't do that. Perhaps I was worried about something?

Anyway, it has since fermented for 10-12 days, was racked to secondary, and is sitting airlocked. It is hazy. Incredibly hazy. So hazy in fact I cannot read the hydrometer easily when the numbers disappear on me (I'm a newbie so I'm still learning to take perfect readings).

Is it too late to add pectic enzyme? It's not a huge deal for me... I just wonder if the parents will find drinking it... unappetizing.

Thanks!

Pectic enzyme doesn't work as well in the presence of booze, so you should use more than the recommended dosage, I usually use 2x. If it is a pectin haze, it should help. You'll need to give it a week or two to work. Plus your still fairly near the beginning of the clearing process that I wouldn't worry too much about it. My Apfelwein doesn't begin to clear until about 6 weeks in, despite it being done fermenting after the 2nd week....I do add pectic enzyme to that at the start, though. My advice is to give it a double dose now, and just let it ride :)

Back