too far gone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsmasters

Reaction score
ok, i hate admit this but i think that i screwed up!!!!!!!!!!!!! first not knowing it was bad i squeezed the gain bag...then i had to cut off my boiling about 10 minutes early cause i got called into work...it took about 30 minutes or so to cool because i could not change out of the ice in the sink. I still hopped on scheduled time left. I used iris moss and yeast fuel additives to hopefully speed up the fermenting and the settling and needless to say it is not working. I have ALLOT of settlement at the bottom and it is still building pressure after 14 days. I moved it to the secondary and left a HUGE yeast cake after 10 days when i thought that it was through fermenting and the FG was about right on. Should i poor out and start over or wait it out????

:(

Wait it out and if you haven't done so, use the hops that didn't get added to dry hop. Toss them in and it will give you a good reason to wait another two weeks.

I wouldn't worry about any of that stuff at all. It is beer not a nuclear reactor, you can definetly stretch the recommended guidelines and still come up with a great product. Relax everything will be fine.

thanks guys, it is still in the secondary...i hope that it is as good as it smells. I bought some IPA this week and they smell just alike. I love the hoppy flavor of an ipa i just hope that mine is that good.

Cheers

ya know, i'd heard a lot about squeezing the grain bag. I always do it. I get all the juices out of there, then i run hot water over it (kind of a half-@$$ sparge). i've had really good luck with that. why do so many people think it is bad to squeeze it? i squeeze my hop bags, too.

rsmasters said:
ok, i hate admit this but i think that i screwed up!!!!!!!!!!!!! first not knowing it was bad i squeezed the gain bag...then i had to cut off my boiling about 10 minutes early cause i got called into work...it took about 30 minutes or so to cool because i could not change out of the ice in the sink. I still hopped on scheduled time left. I used iris moss and yeast fuel additives to hopefully speed up the fermenting and the settling and needless to say it is not working. I have ALLOT of settlement at the bottom and it is still building pressure after 14 days. I moved it to the secondary and left a HUGE yeast cake after 10 days when i thought that it was through fermenting and the FG was about right on. Should i poor out and start over or wait it out????

:(
Sounds like a great beer.
I think it takes alot to really ruin a beer. Unless you have very strong evidence of an infection just wait for it to finish fermenting then bottle it. I think you will find it produces great beer.
Craig

DeathBrewer said:
ya know, i'd heard a lot about squeezing the grain bag. I always do it. I get all the juices out of there, then i run hot water over it (kind of a half-@$$ sparge). i've had really good luck with that. why do so many people think it is bad to squeeze it? i squeeze my hop bags, too.
Yeah, I don't get this - I can't imagine that if 30 mins of steeping doesn't get the tannins out that a squeeze will. The only real problem might be a mini-sparge with boiling water - although I've done this too without thinking and not had any problems.

Latest posts

Back