Too dark and too burnt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
I use only 5% of roasted barley and my beer is turned too dark and with burnt taste!?

I thought I got dark red to brown beer, but it turned black and, worse, it had a burnt taste and smell. Do not understand what went wrong?

Maybe I should have roasted malt at the end of the mash?

Can you post the whole recipe? 5% Roast Barley is a pretty substantial amount, especially depending on the OG.

Can you post the whole recipe? 5% Roast Barley is a pretty substantial amount, especially depending on the OG.

Batch: 25L
3kg Pale Ale + 200g Roasted Barley + 400g table sugar
20g Magnum (30min)
W-34/70 fermented warm

5% roasted barley sounds awful.

I used 2oz (56g) in a 5gal (19L) recipe recently and that was too much, IMO.

5% roasted barley sounds awful.

I used 2oz (56g) in a 5gal (19L) recipe recently and that was too much, IMO.

Looks like you're right. I learned this hard way. I do not like it and I think I'll have to throw it.

If you have the space, you could let it ride for an extended period of time. Like I said in the other thread, the beer tastes good now, after 2 months sitting in the keg. However, next time I make this beer, I'll use 1oz instead of 2oz.

Is there any advice on how to save this beer?
Maybe I mix it with some hop tea and bottle again?

If you have the space, you could let it ride for an extended period of time. Like I said in the other thread, the beer tastes good now, after 2 months sitting in the keg. However, next time I make this beer, I'll use 1oz instead of 2oz.

I know. But I put four times more roasted barley than you.

Instead of tossing it, you could try blending it with something lighter. I like to blend stouts with pale ales to get hoppy browns. It is easier to do if you keg though.

Instead of tossing it, you could try blending it with something lighter. I like to blend stouts with pale ales to get hoppy browns. It is easier to do if you keg though.

Anything is easier to do if you keg, but it wouldn’t be all that hard to blend it in a bottling bucket with the new lighter beer and then re-bottle.

I will try to dilute it with lemon or orange juice. Only then will no longer be beer than Radler.

It seems that roasted barley is not the main problem of this beer than a lager yeast that ferment at high temperature because the taste, and especially the smell, going to worse.

I sunk him. There is no help.

The Brulosophy experiment with W-34/70 fermented managed but the same experiment failed for me. My whole time was around 26 ° C without a cold break.

It seems that roasted barley is not the main problem of this beer than a lager yeast that ferment at high temperature because the taste, and especially the smell, going to worse.

I sunk him. There is no help.

The Brulosophy experiment with W-34/70 fermented managed but the same experiment failed for me. My whole time was around 26 ° C without a cold break.

Sometimes you have to live and learn. I'd be hard-pressed to ferment an ale that warm, let alone a lager. Brulosophy be damned!

Brulosophy is great help for homebrewers. But, sometime, things go wrong.

Latest posts

Back